Yosemite TERs

Started by bigben, May 31, 2007, 12:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

This is the beginning of a new set of 4097x4097 TERs and images centred near Half Dome.

I've split up the files so you can download only what you need. The exe's are self extracting RAR files.

<http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/terragen/files/yosemite/>

The files are numbered for according to their size e.g. 0025 = 0.25°
The "canopy" and "land" files contain low res (30m) data, so if you download both terrains you only need to download the 0050 version of these two files. These images are intended as supporting data for creating masks, not for direct use in a TGD (the land images are indexed colour)

As you can see by this test render below, you may also need to include some slope restrictions to refine masks created with these images to keep trees off cliffs etc....
[attachimg=#3]

I'll add the larger areas after I finish the Grand Canyon and Glacier NP sets.

Harvey Birdman

Hey, that's pretty cool! I'll have to check this out.

<edit>
The vegetation on the cliffs may be the manzanita shrubs that Sethren and I were talking about showing up. The locations are about right. There aren't any trees there, but there are quite a few shrubs.</edit>

And you notice the two bare streaks running along the canyon floor? Those are the roads! They show up as gaps in the canopy.

8)

<edit>
Hey, guy, I finally checked out your terragen pages at the university site. And here I thought I was getting the drop on you with the Yosemite terrain - I though it was one you hadn't gotten to yet. I think I'll leave the terrain conversion in your hands from now on. So do you do requests?  :)
</edit>

garcia

Thanks for all your hard work Ben 8)

Robert..

bigben

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on May 31, 2007, 05:19:33 AM
The vegetation on the cliffs may be the manzanita shrubs that Sethren and I were talking about showing up. The locations are about right. There aren't any trees there, but there are quite a few shrubs. The canopy image has it as low density anyway.

I checked it out in Google Earth and they look like trees to me... or very big shrubs.

The roads are marked in red in the land cover images although they are often pink or greyish due to indexing issues (their end, not mine).   I'm running a test panorama using the raw canopy image as a population density mask and it's looking pretty good considering the resolution of the mask so I'll definitely keep this image in my sets.

I wish we had these data sets available online for Australia...  Must check around.

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on May 31, 2007, 05:19:33 AM
So do you do requests?  :)

It's going to take me a while to redo all of my previous data sets but after that I'm open to suggestions/requests. Needless to say the more an area interests me, the more likely I'll be to do it  ;)My list of areas at the moment include:

• Grand Canyon
  • Glacier N.P
  • Tetons
  • Monument Valley/ Goosenecks
  • Bitter Creek (Forget the name of the mountains nearby... can't even remember what state it was in.. :()

The data included are:

• 10 degree square of 1" NED
  • 3 or 4 degree square of 1/3" NED
  • 2001 Land cover
  • 2001 Canopy
  • Slope map

I'll leave the files separate as I have done this time so you can just download what you want, and I'll set up a proper index page with some additional info.

Another possibility is making large, low res terrains as supporting data for existing TERs on other sites. All I'd need for that is the coordinates of the centre of the terrain (e.g. the 8193 TER of Mt St Helens). 

Oshyan

I actually created a 2049 terrain that neatly surrounds the St. Helens terrain I have available on Ashundar. It includes Adams, Rainier and others and is about 245km to a side. The seam doesn't match up as well as I'd like but I think that's due to the difference between the extremely accurate 3m DEM's and them 10m SRTM stuff I took the surroundings from. Not sure if the NED data set is more in synch now?

Oh, anyway, I'd be glad to make it available if people are interested.

- Oshyan

bigben

I'm not sure. There's only a couple of states at that res on the USGS site, and their nowhere near my areas of interest.  The datasets I've used so far appear to be reasonably well in sync, and it's nice not to have noise on lake surfaces from the SRTM data like I get from CGIAR. Makes mask creation so much easier.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

Yes, I'm interested.  First I've seen this.

Quote from: Oshyan on May 31, 2007, 11:45:14 PM
I actually created a 2049 terrain that neatly surrounds the St. Helens terrain I have available on Ashundar. It includes Adams, Rainier and others and is about 245km to a side. The seam doesn't match up as well as I'd like but I think that's due to the difference between the extremely accurate 3m DEM's and them 10m SRTM stuff I took the surroundings from. Not sure if the NED data set is more in synch now?

Oh, anyway, I'd be glad to make it available if people are interested.

- Oshyan
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan