Simple tip for reducing crashes,

Started by Kevin F, June 07, 2007, 04:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

I've noticed that the more often I save a WIP the less often TG2 crashes. It's as if constant changes and tweaks between test renders are eating up memory which is not being released. As saves are made TG2 acts as if working with a clean sheet and so memory issues are not a problem. I tend to save after EVERY change I make to a scene and crashes/freezes rarely bother me.
This could of course be total bollocks, in which case I deny all knowledge! :D
Regards
Kevin.

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

RedSquare

dhavalmistry

I also have found out that if you have large populations in your scene and it is crashing due to insufficient memory, then saving your scene with different name (incremental inscrease i.e. scene 01, scene 02 and so on) helps in big way while doing full quality big render....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

DeathTwister

Haha I have same trouble, but I save and then go out and retsart my computer to clear out my ram and cash, and then render, and not only does it not crash, but I think it renders faster as well, I could be wrong though. But it sure seems to render fater.

DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

mr-miley

Might be useful, especially after the last 2 posts.... I use a little utility called PC Booster V3.0. I am not usually a fan of software "boosters" cause I have tried loads and most of the time they are crap, but this works quite well. It site on top of all windows and shows a live reading of total memory, and available memory, with a "Free RAM" button. This app is NOT for the faint hearted.... DO NOT look at it when you are using Terragen, it is frightening..... very frightening :o You can watch your memory just dissappear. But if you click on the "Free RAM" button it forces a release of non essential memory across the board, and it does actually work, cause if you fire up Task manager and go to the processes tab and then click the free RAM button you can see the memory decreasing for a lot of apps.
Its not the be all and end all but it does actually work. In case anyone is interested its at http://www.bluesquad.com (and no, I don't work for bluesquad  ;D )
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

DeathTwister

HAhahahahaha, Wow thanks, going to try it out, and I kinda figured we get sticker shock looking at the ram, I use TM and I seen it peg 100%.
DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions