Lightning Slowed Down For Us to See

Started by rcallicotte, May 12, 2013, 10:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Thats timely!  ;)

I was playing with this thing I found for maya. It shows how to use paint effects to make 3d lightning out of vines.

Never mind the colors.
[attach=1]
It has been eaten.

rcallicotte

Looks cool. Would like to see what you do.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Dune

If there's some mathematical ground to the bolt you constructed, the same math may be used to make procedural rivers (perhaps).......

TheBadger

QuoteLooks cool. Would like to see what you do.
Dont really know yet. Only posted the image cause you posted something that happened to be something I needed. I just thought it was funny that I dont even have to ask anymore, you guys just find the stuff I need on your own  ;) :D

QuoteIf there's some mathematical ground to the bolt you constructed, the same math may be used to make procedural rivers (perhaps).......
:-\
If your hoping for an intellgent responce from me, youll have to talk me through what ever it is you just said :o
:o

No really, what can I do with what you see here that may be of some use to you?

It has been eaten.

dandelO

I seem to remember Cypher making a planet-wide river system from warped Voronoi nodes a few years back, did you persevere with that, Richard? Seems to me you could do real magic with that these days.

Dune

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but the thing with (warped) voronoi is that it's a network, and what we really need is a thinning or thickening (soft!) line, where at certain intervals smaller side branches appear, where also again smaller side branches appear. Even if this is a straight 'tree' it can always be warped and maybe a few can be overlaid to form a braided river. Must be possible mathematically, but I'm a noob where it comes to A+B.

Tangled-Universe

You're talking about L-systems Dune and/or derivatives of that.

In Houdini for instance you can use L-systems to model your plants.
Using a set of mathematical rules to determine at what interval and rotation branching takes place.

Such research is also being done on rivers. Just go to ACM.org and start searching.

Dune

L-systems indeed, but how I could possibly translate that into a series of blue nodes is far beyond me.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on May 13, 2013, 03:55:31 AM
L-systems indeed, but how I could possibly translate that into a series of blue nodes is far beyond me.

You're not the only one :)

I think it's not possible and if it would then it would probably be hideously complex (and likely mindbogging slow as well).

mhaze

You'd need to use recursion and you can't do that as far as I know with blue nodes.

Dune

Ok, I'll drop it. Back to normal(s).

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?