Old man

Started by TheBadger, May 23, 2014, 09:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Free? So is DAZ. ;D But later you pay for all the bundles. Hence, I wonder if it's the case here as well.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

archonforest

You can find free stuff for Makehuman like hair, clothes...etc. I also found tuts about how to create your own stuff. I cannot give any links as so far I had no time to go into this business yet.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

But once you have this guy, isn't it 'easy' to open up in another software and add clothes, or just color him (for distance)?

j meyer

Quote from: Dune on May 28, 2014, 11:58:33 AM
But once you have this guy, isn't it 'easy' to open up in another software and add clothes, or just color him (for distance)?
Yes it is! And MakeHuman has nowadays a few simple clothes that come with it.
Like jeans and a shirt and so on,even simple hair,already Uved etc.
And you can rig them and use the rigged  model in your modeling/animating app.
I don't know which rigging system(s) Lightwave supports,but chances are good that
one will do.

TheBadger

Quote from: j meyer on May 28, 2014, 01:05:20 PM
Quote from: Dune on May 28, 2014, 11:58:33 AM
Yes it is! And MakeHuman has nowadays a few simple clothes that come with it.
Like jeans and a shirt and so on,even simple hair,already Uved etc.
And you can rig them and use the rigged  model in your modeling/animating app.
I don't know which rigging system(s) Lightwave supports,but chances are good that
one will do.

Agreed. I like it because it is much less a system hog than Daz. It does not hide files allover my computer. And once I get it as far as I need or want than I can save an obj and open in Maya. This is mostly all I use Daz for.

I will keep daz though. I will probably buy some simple essential assets from them sooner than later.

Ill post the old man when he is done. All I did so far was use the base setting sliders in MH when you first open the program.
Im really happy that its so fast to use. Daz can really drag. And the UI is simple clean and functional. Daz is more problematic because it is more complicated. And again, Daz is a huge program that you have to install. MH does not need to be installed (on osx anyway.) And its open source, so I am guessing that problems won't be hidden... I hope.
I think it looks clean, feels clean so far.

Anyway. Daz is nice because its set up to use Daz assets. But once I send to maya, I can use any assets there too. Size and fit the way I want, and rig the objects the way I want.

One downside for MH may be, that you can only do natural human bipedal forms. But if you want legs like a rabbit or a kangaroo or something with that extra reversed joint, I dont know if you can in MH. But you can get that with DAZ.
But I just used the first settings so far. The thing I was on about was how fast from start up to good form I went. Daz takes longer just to get going, and then you have to rummage around in the UI for things.

So, thats all so far. will check out a few videos tonight after dinner, and see where that leads me. I guess my point is that I want to get the model as far as I can before I send to maya or go to sculpt. Have to do that no matter what I think. But this is a great starting place.

It has been eaten.

Dune

You're making me enthusiastic to use MH as well. I like clean software, and very much dislike hidden stuff, that you can't control (just got rid of Bill's Live Mail, which left me with stacks of replaced, unused folders  >:( ).