Does Terragen 2 run on Intel Atom ?

Started by penang, June 16, 2013, 09:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penang

Intel is reportedly going to push out its Avoton SoC - an Atom-based CPU designed for the server market

And Avoton reportedly going to come in 8-core version, and reportedly going to be very low-powered (with all 8 core running the total power consumption of 20W, reportedly)

I've never own any Atom based machine before - if there is anyone here who had / have an Atom-based machine, could you kindly tell me if T-2 can run on it ?

If T-2 can run on Atom, then Avoton could become the choice chip for those who want to build a rendering farm running Terragen

Oshyan

I've run TG2 on an Asus Eee netbook, which has an Atom CPU. They're just regular x86, but tuned for low power use. They are, however, less powerful as a result of that lower power use. They're very useful for workloads that require large numbers of concurrent threads, where performance of each thread is less important than the total number, or of course for workloads where overall power use is critical. But they absolutely do not and will not beat regular desktop Intel CPUs (e.g. latest Haswell), clock-for-clock, dollar-for-dollar, or perhaps even watt-for-watt (the latter point is perhaps debatable). What's the point of them then? Well, they're more efficient overall, so they are lower power at idle, easier to cool, etc. As I said, they're good for certain specialized workloads, a database server for example where threads and I/O are a bigger bottleneck than raw CPU power in many cases. I really don't think they'd be good for TG though, especially vs. a nice 6 core, 12 thread Haswell, or better yet an E Series CPU next year when they move to 8 cores/16 threads.

All that being said I'd be interested to see benchmarks. Which reminds me, I really need to update the benchmark!

- Oshyan

penang

I just checked online, looks like the 8-core Avaton chip Intel is going to push out reportedly later this year has 16-threads as well

But it is going to run about 33% lower in speed (3GHz vs 2Ghz) as compared to Haswell i7, and the L2 cache is also going to be smaller

Talking about cache - does the amount of L1 / L2 cache on CPU make any significant speedup for Terragen ?

I also heard that T3 has just been announced.