The Plant Factory Discussion - share your experience and workflow etc. :)

Started by Tangled-Universe, June 11, 2013, 05:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADE

Quote from: Antoine on June 13, 2013, 06:55:18 AM
here a new exportation test. I used warpboard for the leaves and in Terragen, after a few shader settings, it looks good for me.
However, I don't know how to make seemless the bark texture between the trunk and the branches.

nothing wrong with that tree

i export mine to another program and map the trunk there, but perhaps play with the uv tile sliders and whatever else is there, twist, too in the material tab

TheBadger

So you guys are saying that your having to map the tree is something that will be fixed by final release? That mapping will be automatic by final? Or no?
It has been eaten.

Bluestorm

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to try out the Pre-Release Phase II this week (too much work to do at university :( But I finally handed in my bachelor thesis last week, yay!!  ;D), but I will chime in later as soon as I've tried it.

About that texturing issue: If you look closely at the supplied tries you will notice that these aren't seamless, either. My guess is that there's simply no way to make textures blend entirely without manually editing the UVs in third party software like e.g. Bodypaint 3D. But that's just an estimation. Either way, you can always play around with the different mapping modes in the material editor. For non Vue-users here's a short explanation:

World mapping modes: Think of your object (the tree) as a "window" to the material that is stretched and repeated infinitely across the entire world space. If you move the tree, you will see another part of the material.

Object mapping modes: The material's position is attached to the object. Moving the tree won't change the pattern on the object.

Parametric and standard: When you resize an object with parametric mapping, the material will resize accordingly, too. For example, if you make your tree three times bigger in scaling, the material will also be scaled up three times in its size in order to keep the correct relation of sizes with the object. If the object has standard mapping applied to it, though, resizing the object will reveal "more" of the material and the material itself will stay the same size.

Also, if you double-click on the material preview (the sphere), the content browser will pop up. You can find procedural bark materials that are fully adjustable under Plants=>Barks.
Maybe this information is helpful :)

Bluestorm

Great tutorial about how to model a group of 3D leaves. It is in German, but you should be able to follow the steps nonetheless.

Basically, he talks about how he manipulates the filter curves to get the desired leave shapes. He uses a hydra object to distribute the leaves and manipulates the distribution radius with another filter curve. He goes back and forth between the leaves ( = "Blätter") and the hydra object and continues to adjust the curves until he is satisfied with the result. At the end, he distributes the newly made leafes along a basic primitve trunk shape to see what it looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GZyOwLzqGlU

TheBadger

Hey Guys.

I am curious about roots!
Now suppose that you want to have visible root flares on your trees. Rather than modeling the tree and roots and guessing at what how much of the root will be visible on the terrain. Can you import a terrain into TPLF and model the trees to an exact relationship with the terrain? And, like in IvyGen, can you save out the trees so that when importing into TG2-3 the trees will have a coordinates that match TG2-3?

Hope to get an answer on this in the affirmative.

Thanks, and take a look at the images here so theres no mistaking my intent:
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/dark-trees-visible-roots-forest-fog-21078451.jpg

Also, from Dylan Cole: If you co to his website and look at his work from "Avatar", you can find several more of this nature:
[attach=1]

And this last one is just for pleasure! Maybe some inspiration
http://cdn4.pacifichorticulture.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Maier.04.jpg
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

choronr

Walli's 'Bristlecone Pine' achieves the buttress type trunk base as does his 'The Noble One' tree. Certain 'Ficus' varieties and Olive trees achieve these types bases; but, on ones that are many years old. These 'Hero' trees make for some spectacular scenes.

TheBadger

Oh, I will still be buying from Walli even if I manage to master TPF! He has already saved me tons of time and money. But for very specific things I need to do it my self. Or else get rich and pay Walli to do it for me.

Hope Ill be able to do what Im after!
It has been eaten.

mhaze

Just a quicky - a Gunnera plant.  Modelled in plant factory, using photos of leaves from a nearby stream, mapped onto blades. RT off as I wanted bumpiness!.  Lots of Issues but I hope to sort them soon!

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Bluestorm

I'd like to give an update, too. It seems I am starting to get the hang of how to achieve the plants I want. I am currently working on a chamomile.

[attachimg=1]

It is by no means finished yet, but I think I am getting somewhere. I also did a simple but colorful testrender and I like the outcome so far.

TheBadger

Looks real nice Blue.

Ideas, thoughts, opinions to share? Or not just yet?
It has been eaten.

efflux

Quote from: TheBadger on June 16, 2013, 02:00:25 PM
Hey Guys.

I am curious about roots!
Now suppose that you want to have visible root flares on your trees. Rather than modeling the tree and roots and guessing at what how much of the root will be visible on the terrain. Can you import a terrain into TPLF and model the trees to an exact relationship with the terrain? And, like in IvyGen, can you save out the trees so that when importing into TG2-3 the trees will have a coordinates that match TG2-3?

Hope to get an answer on this in the affirmative.

Thanks, and take a look at the images here so theres no mistaking my intent:
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/dark-trees-visible-roots-forest-fog-21078451.jpg

Also, from Dylan Cole: If you co to his website and look at his work from "Avatar", you can find several more of this nature:
[attach=1]

And this last one is just for pleasure! Maybe some inspiration
http://cdn4.pacifichorticulture.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Maier.04.jpg

Michael, this is one of the reasons I'm not so into standalone tree generators. The best option is to have features in a standard 3D app that can create trees. At present for large trees I'm not sure what is available in that direction but all small plants can easily be modelled in most apps that have features such as arrays or particles. Leaves can be arrays or particles. I'm not saying this is easy but I don't Tree Factory will be dead easy either. When it gets into thousands of leaves and masses of connected branches then it gets more problematic. I'm assuming you can take the trees from Tree Factory into a standard app and further edit but then what about the textures etc? For gnarled roots and trunks nothing beats voxel sculpting in 3D Coat and you have no problem matching roots with ground which obviously you can just import as reference. Maybe there are ways of matching this continued into Terragen with a heightfield ground. Could you match those things?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PicXftYaqEw

mhaze

The short answer is yes it can be done in both Speedtree and Plant Factory.   You would have to import only the parts you want to use for the roots to keep import mesh sizes down.