Terrege 2 (free) not working on windows 8

Started by dasinc, June 12, 2013, 07:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasinc

G'day,

For some reason the program is not running on my windows 8 machine.  I have the latest drivers for my readon video card.  I have tried compatibility mode and running as administrator.

Is there a list of troubleshooting things to look at with regards to win 8?

The program starts fine, I select 'use free license' and then it disappears and that is it.  It is still showing up in the task manager, but there is no program to be seen :(

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oshyan

Try adding "-no3dpreview" (without quotes) to the shortcut for TG2 (or you can start it from the commandline with this parameter). This will turn off the 3D preview on startup and could tell you if it's an OpenGL/graphics driver issue (which is usually the case with startup issues like this). You could also try turning down 3D acceleration for your graphics card driver temporarily. If either one solves the problem, then it's a graphics driver compatibility problem.

- Oshyan

dasinc

G'day and thanks for the reply :)

the -no3dpreview parameter didn't have any effect, and I am still trying to work out how to disable hardware acceleration in windows 8!

Dune

I don't here much good about Win 8, maybe better stick to XP or 7...

Oshyan

Should be similar to Windows 7 I believe: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/hardware-acceleration-windows-7
Or this AOL article (*shame*): http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKCPopup&docType=kc&externalId=15392

Let us know if that helps at all. Also do try a complete uninstall then reinstall, ideally with a redownload of the free version installer. Make sure to check the install directory after uninstall (and before reinstall) for any remnants of the first install, and clear your Temp files. Perhaps you've already tried these things, but let us know.

Note that we have tested on Windows 8 and even fixed a few minor Win 8 related issues, so it certainly should work. There is nothing specific to Windows 8 that we're aware of being problematic.

- Oshyan

dasinc

mmm for some reason I don't seem to have the option as mentioned in those articles.  I even downloaded the catalyst display driver panel to see if that helps....it doesn't....doh!

I removed and reinstalled the program, did the relevant checks. 

Strange, story of my computing life though, I always have issues that others don't.  As a test engineer I guess that is a good trait, but damn it gets annoying!

Oshyan

Well damn, without being able to test the graphics acceleration setting, and having tried the other options, I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe try the 32 bit version? Or, is there anything unusual about your Windows 8 configuration? A special theme manager, for example (Stardock, etc.)?

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

By coincidence I installed Windows 8 on my girlfriends' laptop tonight so I can try installing the free version there and see if it's a compatability issue with windows 8 or a system related issue.
Would that be helpful?

Oshyan

Yes, most definitely. We've tested ourselves on Windows 8 and it works fine (I believe there were some minor changes needed to make it look ideal). But the behavior dasinc describes is odd indeed.

- Oshyan

SteveR

If it helps, I had the free version of Terragen 2 running fine on my Win 8 x64 system, and as of tonight the full version also (although that did crash when I pressed the R button in the render windows!). Graphics card is an nVidia GTX460 SC though.

dasinc

tempted to buy another graphics card.  I used to have 4 monitors running (one is usb) but now I am down to two, so getting a new card is easier now.  Find a good, affordable, 3 monitor card was a bit harder. 

dasinc

Have just had to rebuild my system.

Terragen still doesn't work :(  It *does* work in safe mode.  Also, I think it worked on the fresh win8 install, before I installed other stuff. So I am guessing that one of my other programs is causing the problem.

I've tried stopping quite a few services for the virus checker (bitdefender), speedfan, mimo, rainmeter, peerblock, second copy , crashplan....I can't work it out!

bummer