Terragen 3 pre-release FAQ

Started by Oshyan, June 13, 2013, 01:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyWelder

Yikes!!! Barely used to working with 2 and now there's a 3?! When will we see show the new interface does look? There will be a new interface I suppose? And what will this gonna cost me, in €€?
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

paq

Hello,

This release looks really great !

Gmail seems to consider Planetside sign-up confirmation mail as spam.

Cant wait to see some big renders :)

Questions :

- Does the new GI enhancement improve details in shadow area ? (especially contact shadows)
- Is it possible now to populate a collection of plants/items with a single populator node ?
- Is it possible to apply some sort of subdivision node (catmull clark) on an imported model, so we can rise up the mesh density before applying a vertex deformer ?

Thanks a lot !

Did I mention I cant wait to see other renders ? :) (the background render on T3 blog is beautifull !)

Gameloft

Dune

I think I can tell you that the new GI is really awesome and very fast.

SteveR

Quote from: Oshyan on June 14, 2013, 04:07:51 AM
Hi Steve, it's a little bit of a difficult question to answer at this point and it's rather personal to you and your situation. If you need Terragen capabilities before the July release, you should consider buying now; as we mentioned the upgrade pricing will be very reasonable. But if you can afford to wait and see, well that would be the way to make the most informed decision, of course.

Thanks for the comment Oshyan, I am not desperate so I guess I ought to hold fire for a few weeks and see what gives. Thanks.

otakar

So let's see if I get this right:

For TG3 there will be:
- TG3 Free
- TG3 Creative
- TG3 Professional
- TG3 Professional + Animation

For those of us who have TG2 Deep, we will get an upgrade option to TG3 Professional for some yet to be announced amount. If we do not upgrade we will stay at TG 2.5.5

The comparison render on the TG3 site does indeed show the new capability nicely. Please keep the upgrade cost reasonable, especially for the hobbyists among us. The Creative version seems to be a downgrade (and therefore not an option) as described, so TG3 Professional is really where we (TG2 owners) want to be.

bla bla 2

Comme, j'ai terragen deep animation, je peux avoir terragen 3 professionel + animation, c'est ça ?

Après la mise à jour ?.

As I terragen deep animation, I have three professional terragen 3 + animation, right ?

After the update?

N810

Hmmm...  :-\

Is it going to some with some preset terrain types and populations
like (I think it was Oshyan) hinted about..?  :D
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

Oshyan

pokoy, TG2 files will be readable, yes. They should render largely the same, we tend to keep backward compatibility as a high priority for all releases.

The spherical camera indeed allows you to render a full 360 environment. I believe layers/elements are supported for that but I'll verify.

There are some new inputs for cloud shading (yes, color) and some other shading improvements. More details to come.

Node rendering on Mac/Win is done through the existing CLI version. You can use a commandline flag to hide the UI if desired. We won't have a dedicated Win/Mac render node for initial TG3 release but perhaps later.

More images to come, of course. :)

Antoine, the new GI allows for higher detail at equivalent (or lower) render settings. It is comparable to GI Surface Details in TG2 in terms of its general effect, though the results are even better. The key is that it works in a fraction of the time as compared to GI SD. The normal GI prepass still needs to be done, so that part isn't faster, but for quality results the render times are much faster, half the time or less (assuming you would be using GI SD or higher GI detail/sample quality previously). More images and feature details will be shared throughout the coming weeks as we get closer to release, keep an eye on Terragen3.com for updates (or subscribe to the newsletter or RSS).

Andy, the interface is largely the same as TG2. This is not the same kind of complete overhaul that Terragen 2 was to Terragen Classic. We're adding tools and significant new capabilities, but the UI remains structurally and functionally the same. As noted previously, pricing details will be announced a bit later.

paq, yes the detail in shadow areas is significantly improved with the new GI mode. This is one of my favorite new features.

Population grouping is something we're looking at, but may not make it into the initial TG3 release.

We do not have object subdivision in there yet, but it's a good idea. I'll add it as a feature request for the future.

Otakar, yes that's correct. Don't worry, upgrade prices will be very reasonable.

bla blah, I'm not sure what you mean.

N810, yes we do plan to have some presets included. I don't know if we'll be including objects though as they significantly increase the size of the download and the installer, so a preset for a population would not necessarily make sense. We'll include as much starter content as we can and it will probably be added to over time.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

QuoteGmail seems to consider Planetside sign-up confirmation mail as spam.
Confirmed on my end too.
It has been eaten.

cyphyr

Once you tell gmail it's not spam it shouldn't be an issue for future emails. I use gmail and haven't experienced this or if I did it was a looong time ago.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

The new GI method offers more detail in shadows. Left is "old", right is "new".
Before this new method lighting/shadows on vegetation and shadows of displaced terrains were "missed", just to put it simply.
This new method gives more depth to your lighting and shadows, strongly emphasizing the 3D feel of your image and thus makes things feel less flat.

In this specific sample the effect in displaced surfaces is huge.
Using this new GI makes you think twice on how much displacement you should apply ;)
So what we see here is that previously, for the left image, I overdid the displacement to get the look I wanted.
The new GI method is more accurate and now shows nicely the flaws in my displacement setup.

Next example, if anyone is interested, will show the difference in vegetation.

Oshyan

Looks great Martin. You can feel free to post these in a separate thread if you want. I'm not sure if that's better or not, likely it would get more exposure though (at least if you titled it "Terragen 3 examples" ;-) ).

- Oshyan

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Hannes

Just changed my pants and now desperately looking for the separate thread. Martin! Richard! Where is it? Show your pictures! Please!  :'( :'( :'(