Terragen 3 pre-release FAQ

Started by Oshyan, June 13, 2013, 01:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi

Was more or less just asking about Danny's guesstimation. Not trying to be critical. In all honesty and seriousness I think TG2 is fairly priced now. And I doubt I will think otherwise for Version 3. It is a massive program with many ways to use it (unlike TPF, which has only one use). Im not trying to interrupt debate/discussion, just saying what I think.

In the future, If T3 or T4 fixed the displacement issues, had full object support (FBX and obj including multi tilling and functional rigging animation) and if they included a limited particle system for rain and fire, for example. And had a good wind system as well as some of the other technical things people talk about. I would not hesitate to pay more than 1,000+ dollars. (compare Terragen to maya/max softimage and so on (they all have problems and limitations too, by the way) but cost multiple thousands of dollars more. And with the big packages you still HAVE to buy expensive plug-ins to do everything you see in the movies.

As things are now I think T2 is at fair market value, and really probably even costs less than what its worth IMO (despite that I personally am not as good with it as lots of you guys, and so don't get the same use out of it.)

Also remember that Oshyan and Jo and Matt provide first hand user support (try getting that from autodesk). If you take all of the pluses of planetside together with the actual software. It really is underpriced (relative to pricing in the industry). And probably that is why development is a little slower. If they charged more they could afford to do more, but then some of us would not be able to use it. So I can't bring my self to complain too much (and I do love complaining). I think they have done a good job balancing everything. And I honestly feel like the balance is more in our favor than theirs, and they get big loyalty points from me for that.

Having said that, Im just as concerned about upgrade prices and new users prices as anyone. But only because of my personal situation, and not because I think the prices will be silly (like TPF for example ;)). I do hope that it will go easy on us, but I trust these guys and will  probably pay what they ask without much grumbling...Probably  ;D

On the new user price, I just want to see more new users, so I can look at more new work. And because the more new users there are, the more opportunities being a user my self will create. But if they keep making a free edition and also student prices, than I don't see a problem.

One question I still have is what the upgrade from a student priced version to a full commercial version (from T2 to T3) will be. And also, Im not sure why they will stop selling T2 since they still sell Terragen Classic? But Again, Im just talking from my personal situation. I don't see anything unfair now or coming down the pike.

Just saying.

;D YEah, I got something to say about everything, So what? ;D  ;)
It has been eaten.

Dune

I totally agree with Michael. And most of us will have a couple of hundred dollars left after we've passed out, so why not spend that now  ;) Won't be any use after...
I don't think Planetside will get rich from all the hours they put into this, and I look in total awe at their crafty work (don't know how else to say it).

Simius Strabus

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 21, 2013, 05:16:06 PM
Quote from: Simius Strabus on June 21, 2013, 03:56:54 PM
Don't want to be a cheap bastard here, but a discount for those who already have tg2 would be kinda nice...

As in...you don't know yet about the pricing for TG2 license owners?

Yeah. Is there a special pricing?
Why stop dreaming when you wake up?

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

Oshyan

Yes, as noted in the FAQ:
I own Terragen 2 Deep (with or without Animation). How much will it cost to upgrade?
We will be providing very affordable upgrade pricing. Our existing customers are a top priority and we want to see as many people as possible being able to use the new features of Terragen 3 and create better and better work. Specific upgrade pricing will be available closer to the release in July.

- Oshyan

Simius Strabus

Oops, must have missed it...  :o
Why stop dreaming when you wake up?

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

masonspappy

Seriously, I probably over-reacted when I saw the first blurb about pricing.   For what it it capable of achieving ,  I believe Terragen really is the best deal going on the market.

rcallicotte

;D

Cool.

Quote from: Oshyan on June 22, 2013, 04:09:26 AM
Yes, as noted in the FAQ:
I own Terragen 2 Deep (with or without Animation). How much will it cost to upgrade?
We will be providing very affordable upgrade pricing. Our existing customers are a top priority and we want to see as many people as possible being able to use the new features of Terragen 3 and create better and better work. Specific upgrade pricing will be available closer to the release in July.

- Oshyan
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

icarus51

Hi,
Vortex shader in TG 3 can possibly to render land/waterspout and tornados? Or Funnel Clouds?

Thanks.
Claudio

Tangled-Universe

Of course you can do that, as long as you know the standard ways of altering noise patterns, like warping/masking etc.

icarus51

Wow! Beautiful. Thanks TU.
Claudio

stevesideas

Hi Guys,

I purchased Terragen 2 yesterday. I didn't see any info regarding Terragen 3 so I'm wondering if I sit in exactly the same position as people that purchased Terragen 2 last year for instance ? Will I receive a free update to T3 or will there be any kind of extra discount for purchasing so close to the release of the new version ? I'm basically wondering if there is a line drawn by Planetside that allow T2 users to upgrade for free if purchased within a month or so of the release of T3 ?

One other thing I'm wondering is that will T3 have some kind of network render preview similar to almost all other render engines these days? I'm assuming it will become multicore with T3 but the extra power of using DR for previews would be a great additional feature.

One last thing. Will there be some kind of DR rendering for final renders ? ie, stills and animations ?

miqtidar

Hey oshyan,

Can we use TG3 PRO Animation for rendering an animation scene as distributed rendering.

what I mean is multiple desktops rendering one frame from animation and sharing different desktops CPU and RAM power for rendering only one frame from animation using network LAN.

Or we have something like distributed rendering, we see in Maya and vray or etc.

Thanks.

Oshyan

Steve, yes there will be a "grace period" if you purchased after the Terragen 3 announcement on June 12th. We'll be contacting those who qualify after the TG3 release (including you :D).

We do not have any kind of network or distributed rendering functionality built-in at this time, either for previews or final renders, but it's something we're considering for the future. In the meantime you can use several existing render managers to deal with renders between multiple machines on a network (within the number of render node licenses you have). There is a list of compatible render managers here: http://planetside.co.uk/2012-02-25-08-58-14/terragen2-resources

- Oshyan

Markal

I can't wait to get lost in this new software. I'm hoping button 9 will make its return in this version....the original TG had it and it needs to be back with more juice...the Brit whit needs to live on!!!  ;)
You guys rock!!!
Thanks,
Mark

stevesideas

Quote from: Oshyan on June 25, 2013, 10:33:24 PM
Steve, yes there will be a "grace period" if you purchased after the Terragen 3 announcement on June 12th. We'll be contacting those who qualify after the TG3 release (including you :D).

We do not have any kind of network or distributed rendering functionality built-in at this time, either for previews or final renders, but it's something we're considering for the future. In the meantime you can use several existing render managers to deal with renders between multiple machines on a network (within the number of render node licenses you have). There is a list of compatible render managers here: http://planetside.co.uk/2012-02-25-08-58-14/terragen2-resources

- Oshyan

Music to my ears. Thanks for clarifying this ! Is there a Terragen 3 beta I can test ?