Terragen 3 pre-release FAQ

Started by Oshyan, June 13, 2013, 01:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjefen

Will there be an ambient occlusion render element?
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

TheBadger

Oshyan,
I just saw the video you posted on T3 website. AWESOME

Did you guys see how the plants now look in the 3D preview?!!!! As someone who obsesses over object placement, both individual and population, I love what I just saw. A bunch of other nice stuff in the video too, I thought.

But did anyone catch what Oshyan said about "you may get a view of another new T3 feature", when he was clicking on a window? I couldnt see what it was. Please tell me!  ;D

Also, Oshyan, will all new products be released at the same time. Will OSX be at the same time. And will the OSX version have all that windows version has?! Im not to worried about it. Planetside does a good job of taking care of us mac people. But I would still like to know.

Thanks for the drool maker. I saved some in a jar for posterity  :o.
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on July 06, 2013, 02:38:35 PM

But did anyone catch what Oshyan said about "you may get a view of another new T3 feature", when he was clicking on a window? I couldnt see what it was. Please tell me!  ;D

It was the 'Show Object As Textured' feature in the 3D preview.  Which is a step-up from Show As Wireframe. 

jo

Hi Michael,

Quote from: TheBadger on July 06, 2013, 02:38:35 PM
Will OSX be at the same time.

Yes. We've pretty much always done simultaneous releases since TG2 went final.

And will the OSX version have all that windows version has?!

Yes. TG is basically half developed on OS X. The bulk of the UI/non-rendering stuff is written on OS X while the rendering stuff is written on Windows. Mac support isn't an afterthought.

Regards,

Jo

DannyG

Content library looks awesome, can't wait. One question.. once items are loaded into the new library and organized, will this introduce any load errors from TGv2 project files ? Another words will the path from TGv3 to the users v2 content folder be altered?
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

jo

Hi Danny,

Quote from: DannyGordon on July 06, 2013, 07:51:01 PM
Content library looks awesome, can't wait. One question.. once items are loaded into the new library and organized, will this introduce any load errors from TGv2 project files ? Another words will the path from TGv3 to the users v2 content folder be altered?

The content library doesn't force any organisation on your files. When items are added to the library they remain in the same place on disk. The content library doesn't make use of an actual organised "Library" folder at this stage, although it will in the future. Even then you won't have to put items into that location unless you choose to.

For the first release the content library doesn't have a lot of ways to actually organise content beyond some basics. That will have to wait for a future update. However it's still very useful, I use it all the time for loading objects for example.

If you have used the TG2 Library and Contents preferences to designate a library folder then we'll have some advice about that in the Library documentation. Suffice to say there won't be any issues relating to it.

Regards,

Jo

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

jaf

Quote from: Dune on July 04, 2013, 02:19:54 PM
You can use a TG2 file in TG3.
The reason I asked is Oshyan wrote "pokoy, TG2 files will be readable, yes. They should render largely the same, we tend to keep backward compatibility as a high priority for all releases."

Just worried by the words "render largely".  If we can run TG2 and TG3 without a licensing problem, then I don't see a problem.

Not a big deal.... just wondering while I'm waiting.  :)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Matt

Quote from: jaf on July 06, 2013, 10:05:44 PM
Just worried by the words "render largely".  If we can run TG2 and TG3 without a licensing problem, then I don't see a problem.

Not a big deal.... just wondering while I'm waiting.  :)

You can have TG2 installed at the same time as TG3. They won't interfere with each other, unless you set environment variables to override some Terragen features. That's an advanced features which most of you don't need to use, so you'll be fine.

The only thing to be aware of is that .tgd files may be associated with one version of TG, so when you double click on a .tgd it will open the version of Terragen that you installed most recently.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Only when opening files in TG2, which were made in TG3 and using some of the newer nodes, they won't be recognized and may leave 'gaps' in node lines.

Come to think of it, won't that be an issue when TG3 users are sharing files? Perhaps not everybody will upgrade to TG3, though they should!

jaf

Thanks Matt/Dune!  That sounds good.  I was hoping to keep the ability to re-render some of my TG2 scenes in the future... maybe a different resolution or updated model.  Of course I would try them in TG3 first. -- Jerry
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Hannes

Just saw the product comparison and trying to put my eyeballs back into their sockets...

Some questions:
What is 4D noise? I assume the fourth dimension is time?!
Is it somehow similar to the noise you can use for "custom mesh deformation on objects"?

What is "New cloud inputs for modulating lighting"?

Sorry, if these questions have been asked earlier, but I'm quite excited, if not aroused ;)

Oshyan

This is a family forum Hannes, keep your pants on! ;)

4D noise evolves through time; rather than simply move your noise function in 3D space to simulate changes in the noise function (when really all you're doing is changing the position of the noise function relative to e.g. a cloud shader), with 4D noise the noise function actually animates. It's quite useful for evolving cloud animations, for example. You could use it for mesh deformation on an object as well, but you can drive the mesh deformation with any displacement shader as well, with or without 4D noise.

The new cloud inputs allow you to use a shader input to modulate the Direct, Enviro Light, and Ambient lighting, giving you a lot more control over specific cloud shading. You can also use a shader to control the shadow function.

- Oshyan

Hannes

Great! Thanks for your response.
(I'll try to cool down!) ;)