Terragen 3 pre-release FAQ

Started by Oshyan, June 13, 2013, 01:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

Its really great to see multi-threaded populations and multi-threading in the render window as well. Also it looks like the good old rock object might be useful now as well, any improvements to the built in grass object?

Also....
How does the population colour variation work?
Whats the "enhanced renderer view" that's only available in the pro version? 
What is the upgrade price? --> Just found this post re the pricing - http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,16317.msg159694.html#msg159694

icarus51

Hi,

Terragen 3 will have to be installed over the old Terragen 2 or should be uninstalled the old and then installed the new?
Old Terragen 2 Projects files will be open by TG 3? Maybe are stupid questions but i'm no sure about this matter. :)
Sorry if you already answered these questions.
Thanks.

TheBadger

^^
You can have both versions on your system at the same time. T3 will open T2 files. But if you double click a T2 file it will open with T2, you need to tell the T2 file to open with T3.
It has been eaten.

icarus51

Hi,

Thanks Badger,  this way is much better.
Greetings.

Jonathan

Hi All,

This looks awesome.

Apologies if these questions have already been answered:

- I have a six core Intel I7 (12cpu) processor, but am limited to using 4 with TG2. Will I be able to use all CPUs with TG3?

- When is TG3 going GA and what is the grace period for upgrading at the prices you have released?

Thanks All.

Jonathan.
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

Oshyan

You should be able to use TG2 with all 6 cores/12 threads already. You certainly should be able to with TG3, but no particular change in multithreading of the main renderer has been done.

GA = General Availability? We'll be announcing release date info soon. You'll have at least a couple months at the announced prices.

- Oshyan

reck

Quote from: reck on July 11, 2013, 08:10:20 AM

How does the population colour variation work?
Whats the "enhanced renderer view" that's only available in the pro version? 

Anyone know the answer to this please?

Matt

Hi Jonathan,

If Terragen doesn't detect the correct number of cores you can go to Preferences and override the number of cores you want Terragen to use. This works in both TG2 and TG3. Do that right now so you can get the most out of TG2! :) You probably want to set it to 12 to use all 12 virtual cores.

The bug with detecting 6 core (12 thread) CPUs hasn't been fixed yet, but use the override in Preferences and you shouldn't have any problems.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

Population color is built-in to populations now. You can plug in a shader to control variation plus optional built in (simple) variation.

The "enhanced renderer view" currently only allows you to switch between RGBA image channels but in the future will be expanded to allow viewing of other render element outputs, and have other tools as well.

- Oshyan

Jonathan

Thanks Mark / Oshyan. Can't wait!
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

reck

Quote from: Oshyan on July 13, 2013, 09:06:10 PM
Population color is built-in to populations now. You can plug in a shader to control variation plus optional built in (simple) variation.

The "enhanced renderer view" currently only allows you to switch between RGBA image channels but in the future will be expanded to allow viewing of other render element outputs, and have other tools as well.

- Oshyan

OK thanks. Need to have a play.

TheBadger

"Enhanced DEM Support"
http://terragen3.com/focus-on-features-enhanced-dem-support/

hooray!
Now maybe I can use this stuff too, without getting lost in all the technical mumbo jumbo as I have.

It looks like were going to be getting a lot of nice new stuff. Well worth the upgrade price. Heck, the improved rendering quality is reason enough to be happy. But as a spoiled American (and damn proud of it), I want more!

Whats behind door number 3, Oshyan?!! Whats behind door number 3?!!
It has been eaten.

Kevin F

Quote from: Matt on July 13, 2013, 08:13:57 PM

The bug with detecting 6 core (12 thread) CPUs hasn't been fixed yet, but use the override in Preferences and you shouldn't have any problems.

Matt

Hi Matt, I have no problem with TG2 detecting 6 cores by default.

elipsis1

So I currently have Terragen 2 installed on 3 machines.  I have never really known what "render nodes" are, is this where you team up multiple systems to render in tandem?

With the $149 will I still be able to install it on 3 machines as long as I only use one at a time for single renders?

Also I have Mac and PC platforms, any problem there?

Thanks!

Oshyan

Terragen licenses are for a single user, they're not "node locked". So you can install Terragen on multiple machines, but without additional render nodes you may only use 1 at a time.

- Oshyan