Terragen 3 examples (If you got some please feel free to post your example here)

Started by cyphyr, June 15, 2013, 04:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Martin posted a couple of images showing the difference between the old GI and the new GI here.
Not wishing to hijack that thread I thought Oshyans idea of a separate thread makes sense.
In the example below the GI settings have been pushed  a "little beyond" realistic but I liked the effect. There are LOTS of detail in the shadows, something we have been hoping for for a long time.
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hannes

Tangled-Universe

Ok here's mine again...a shameless copy of the original post :)

The new GI method offers more detail in shadows. Left is "old", right is "new".
Before this new method lighting/shadows on vegetation and shadows of displaced terrains were "missed", just to put it simply.
This new method gives more depth to your lighting and shadows, strongly emphasizing the 3D feel of your image and thus makes things feel less flat.

In this specific sample the effect in displaced surfaces is huge. This is rendered at default settings.
Using this new GI makes you think twice on how much displacement you should apply ;)
So what we see here is that previously, for the left image, I overdid the displacement to get the look I wanted.
The new GI method is more accurate and now shows nicely the flaws in my displacement setup.

Next example, if anyone is interested, will show the difference in vegetation.

yossam

Dune

OK, one from me, showing another feature of TG3  ;)

cyphyr

I believe Oshyan mentioned the new Vortex shader. As with everything else it can be animated ...
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

TheBadger

@Richard and Martin
Indeed the result looks like a dramatic increase in detail! Cool:)
I will have to re-render some stuff to see what happens for me. Don't suppose that you saw a restore to defaults button per parameter anyplace in there? if not we really should have that!

@Martin
Yes, I would like to see all of the side-by-sides that you care to show (same for all you testers who want to. Post away!). And for any of the new things you think a side by side would show well, or help to explain.

@Ulco
What happens with strata when you make an arch like the one in your image, or similar to it? If I made an arch just like yours, then added perfectly horizontal strata, would the strata continue to bend with the arch? Or does it follow the arch no mater what?
How easy is it to add a basic arch, is it a single provided node to build off of?

@Richard, again.
How easy was it to add those vortexes? A single node? And if it is a single node how much control do you get with-in just the vortex node?
Can you add as many as you like?

:) :) :) :) :)
It has been eaten.

cyphyr

I don't think we can say too much as yet, things may change and we are still under the NDA. The Vortex node is simple to use, can be used multiple times and can be modified/controlled/limited the same way any other node can be.
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

j meyer

These examples look very promising.

Ulco - which new feature of TG3 is it? I'm too stupid to figure it out myself.

bla bla 2

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Dune

@Jochen; I don't think Planetside will blame me if I tell you that the sphere dimensions can be changed  ;)

AP

The shadows and displacement details are quite impressive, not only does the terrain stand out more with a better impression of soil and rocks but the vegetation looks like it belongs more to the scenery as opposed to sticking out in a harsh manner where it all looked to sharp and almost as if it were floating on another layer. I noticed that the shadows seem softer as well without lacking the nice details. Overall, the terrain looks less plastic-like and more dry/matte-like.