Painted shader

Started by choronr, June 15, 2013, 01:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Can the Painted shader be used on an object?

j meyer

Yes,that's possible (or at least it was a while ago when I tested this).
Iirc there is an example by Mr.Lamppost to be found somewhere here
on the forums.

choronr

Quote from: j meyer on June 15, 2013, 02:04:25 PM
Yes,that's possible (or at least it was a while ago when I tested this).
Iirc there is an example by Mr.Lamppost to be found somewhere here
on the forums.
Thanks. I tried a surface shader with painted shader attached to the color function of the object component; but, that didn't work. Will search the threads by Mr. L.

choronr

Found the thread here: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,5471.msg56752.html#msg56752

But tried what was explained and that didn't work either. Maybe a view of the nodes set up would be easier for me to understand.

Dune

I don't know if it works on imported stuff like trees (I imagine it does), but on a plane at least it does. Displaced the offset of the surface shader here.

EDIT: Tried it on the roof of an imported building, which worked, but on the trunk of a tree it didn't. The painted shader should possibly be set to 3D instead of Y.

choronr

Thanks Ulco. I'll give this a try ...looks very interesting. Will be gone most of the day; but, will be experimenting later tonight.

jo

Hi,

There is a painted shader guide here:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Painted_Shader_Guide

You can't paint on imported objects because the painted shader keys off polygons generated in the preview by the renderer. Imported objects are not drawn in the preview using the renderer, they are drawn directly using OpenGL, so there is no generated polygon information for it to use. If you try to paint on an imported object the paint strokes are going to end up located on "generated" scene elements behind the object.

I'm not sure how Ulco was about to paint on the roof of an imported building.

You can paint on some of the built-in objects. On the guide page there is an example project showing painting on a plane to control the shape of a cloud layer. If you wanted to paint on something you could use those objects to approximate the shape of the built in object and paint on them, then use the painted shader in 3D mode. The guide I linked to explains a bit more about what's going on there. To quickly sum up, the paint strokes are actually made up of 3D spheres so the stroke is effectively volumetric and can fill space.

Regards,

Jo

choronr

Thank you Jo for your explanation, I will read through the link.

j meyer

Of course you can paint on imported objects,you just have to put a TG-plane or
sphere at the objects location and then paint on that.And then disable it for rendering.

[attachimg=2]

Sorry Bob I didn't get to answer yesterday.The attached image below shows the settings
used and the nodes.(Ignore the reflective shader)
If you have questions feel free to ask.

jaf

While on the subject of painted shaders.....
I was wondering if it would make sense to have a painted shader curve tool -- just draw a thin closed curve around an area and then select "fill"?  I could really see using a graphics tablet on a top view to quickly make painted shader masks.  Trying to fill large or intricate areas now is a pain, especially with a slow preview.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

choronr

j meyer, thank you for your response to this issue. My goal is to apply the painted shader to tree which has partially dead wood. Currently, I'm working with Walli's 'Bristlecone Pine' which displays a orange/gray color. I wanted to paint silvery/gray stripes on certain areas depicting dead wood.

I will try applying your set up here and see if I can obtain those results. I may have further questions. Thanks again, I appreciate this very much.

choronr

First question j meyer: Is your node set up applied to the model's trunk shader; or, is it all applied separately for the plane?

j meyer

It's applied to the trunk shader.
The plane is there just to make the painting visible in the preview.

choronr

Quote from: j meyer on June 17, 2013, 01:10:23 PM
It's applied to the trunk shader.
The plane is there just to make the painting visible in the preview.
OK j, I will have a go at it. Hopefully I won't have more questions after coming up with positive results. Will be back soon.

choronr

I'm lost (and dense), maybe you can have a look. Attached is a .tgd.