Painted shader

Started by choronr, June 15, 2013, 01:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

I'll take a look,but it may take a while,things are on another computer.

choronr

Quote from: j meyer on June 17, 2013, 01:58:14 PM
I'll take a look,but it may take a while,things are on another computer.
Thank you J, I appreciate this very much.

j meyer

I've connected the nodes and set the parameters required.Tested it before with my
copy of the tree to be sure that it works.
You should set the brush size to something smaller than 0.1 though,maybe 0.05 or so.
In short:start TG,load the TGD,let the preview finish and pause it,then start the
painted shader and paint.Stop the painted shader,disable the plane and render.
That should work.
Good luck,J.

choronr

Thank you very much J, I'm grateful for what you've done here. Will have something to show later today.

choronr

One more question J: How did you open another iteration of the objects part shader? I tried by adding another .tgo of the object in order to get the object 'part'; but, that didn't work.

choronr

Also tried making a clip file of your four nodes and placed them into my set up - this didn't work either.

Dune

I tried the Bristlecone painted shader, but TG crashed as soon as I hit wireframe, so I replaced with a simpler tree. The principle is very simple; take a painted shader, make the brush as small as is needed (just as Jochen said), place a plane at the place of where you want your paintwork to appear, but don't forget to adjust the painted shader orientation, in this case Z (so, facing North).
Pause, paint, disable plane, and then inside the tree nodes, add another surface layer between parts shader and default shader, and blend this by the painted shader. Or attach the painted shader to color input or whatever of the default shader. There are other possibilities of course. No need for another parts shader.
Hope you can figure it out now.

j meyer

I didn't open a second parts shader anywhere as far as I'm aware.

Don't know which 4 nodes you mean,but I guess default sh,surface layer,painted sh and
parts shader.If so the double parts shader might have caused problems,but that's just
a guess.It would have been sufficient to copy only the surface layer and the painted
shader and put them between the default shader and the parts shader in your set up
in cases like this I think.

I agree with what Ulco wrote.

choronr

Ulco, I followed exactly what you have explained; and, it didn't work. As you've said, maybe it is the model complexity that had something to do with it. However, when I use the .tgd made by j meyer here on the thread, it works. But, when I try to duplicate it, it doesn't work even though everything seems to be correct in the set up.

See my response below to j meyer.

choronr

Quote from: j meyer on June 18, 2013, 10:42:19 AM
I didn't open a second parts shader anywhere as far as I'm aware.

Don't know which 4 nodes you mean,but I guess default sh,surface layer,painted sh and
parts shader.If so the double parts shader might have caused problems,but that's just
a guess.It would have been sufficient to copy only the surface layer and the painted
shader and put them between the default shader and the parts shader in your set up
in cases like this I think.

I agree with what Ulco wrote.
Hi Jochen, Have a look at the .tgd file you posted here and you will see the four nodes (on top) that I'm referring to. You will also note that below, there is a duplicate of the trunk shader (default shader) and the part shader. That is why I asked you how did you create the 'part shader'. The good thing is, your .tgd file works; I am able to paint on the tree trunk. When I try to duplicate your set up (exactly) on a new file, it does not work ...strange.

Dune

Strange. You're probably best off to set it up anew every time. Here's another simple setup. Should work if you add one of your trees, and add the surface layer as shown, and blend to the painted shader by right click.

j meyer

Strange indeed.Ulcos suggestion to set it up anew maybe the solution here.

As for the second parts shader: the model has two trunk shaders,the first one
is for the yellowish diffuse map and the second is for the pieces of bark if my
memory serves me right.

choronr

Thank you both, Ulco and Jochen. I will get this sorted out and accomplish my goal one way or another.

Thanks Ulco for the .tgd. and your suggestions. I will try this set up.

Jochen, you are right. the second part for the Bristlecone is different. Thanks again for all your input.

jo

Hi,

I admire your tenacity, but I should point out that this really wasn't what the painted shader was designed for :-).

Regards,

Jo

choronr

Quote from: jo on June 18, 2013, 07:14:14 PM
Hi,

I admire your tenacity, but I should point out that this really wasn't what the painted shader was designed for :-).

Regards,

Jo
Well then Jo, why not make it so?