need much more then the 16 texture limit

Started by DeathTwister, July 25, 2007, 08:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathTwister

Hay all,

I have this problem you see.  I have this sailing ship that I am trying to get into tgd2 for a scene, and my problem is I have way to many textures for any of the texturing Shader Gui's here.  Here is a screen of my Delema....Low rez

Now as you can see the Ship is mostly black except for the 16 textures that I can bring into the ship.  Now I have like 80 .jpg's I need to get into this scene somehow to make my Ship textures like I need it to.  That is about 43 megs.  My question is this Oh great ones.
Number one, does the deep version support more then 16 textures yet, and then
Number 2 and most important, how the hell do I get all those textures into this scene I have?  I need 80 not 16.  So if I can get a heads up on this it sure would be sweet.  Oshyan, maybe you can help me on this one if you can?
Most good models are going to have many many pieces to them for high quality modeling, so this is a real test I think on how to get a really high quality model into this preview of tgd2.
So how can I get this done guys? anyone have a idea?

PS: now this could make a really good effect for a ghost Ship if I had it in the right light and so on, but that is not what I am trying to do right now...Thanks for any help anyone can give me at this time.

DeathTwisters Alley  aka Maylock
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

bigben

1: Not yet

You could split the model up into 5, by the materials used so that each part had only 16 textures ... and then import all 5 with the same location settings.

old_blaggard

Yeah, do what Ben suggests.  Oh, and nice ship - where did you get it?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

DeathTwister

Humm actually I would have to split it up into 6 parts as there is 80 textures, and that is allot of work just to get this model in, not to mention put back together in this program, I am betting at this time is just about impossible.  Cannot see the mesh to line it all up to either.  Think I will on hold until the final version of TGD2 comes out, I can wait /winks.

Hay brother Blaggard bought it here on rendo, the seafarer I think its called.  Nice one aye?  Normally I make all my own models, but wow the textures and the whole model was so well done and so cheep, that I could not have modeled it any better or done it in a timely manner so I just bought it to take apart and see what made it tick /smiles.... I made StarQuest (in my renderosity gallery) and I know this has all kinds of goodies to take apart and put it all back differently, so it will change over time hahahaha, just like playing with models.  I did that when I was a kid with Reveal models and cars and big Daddy Roth Freak cars, made money at it when I was like 9-12 years old at school to the other kids. So I like making em and playing with them allot. I also lived on ships and boats for 30 years of my life, so I am kinda bound to the sea in one way or another.  I live 2 miles from the pacific Ocean and love it to death, hahahaha.

Anyway Vue is easy to get models into, and no 16 texture limit, and I just got C4D and need to find time to see what that one can do, hahaha.  So I am sure I can wait until they get a fix on it, but hay thanks for the idea, and it was what I came up with myself after I posted this and then decided there must be a better way /winks. But then none of them are as good as tgd2 will be when finished I think.  Hope they get the model importer fixed better this next update.  Mapping at the top of the list I hope.

DT
ATOMIX Productions

rcallicotte

DT, I once did a woman on a horse and it ended up being 9 or 10 separate files for each 16-set texture.  Hopefully, this will be addressed by the final version and I believe Oshyan said it would.  Or is this correct?

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

We will definitely be addressing the 16 texture limit for the final release. We're well aware that it is not a reasonable limitation and it is only in place at this time because it was easiest to implement this way until a full solution can be put in place. The current object support is focused on vegetation objects where having more than 16 textures is very rare. For that purpose it works fairly well, but we want to accomodate other more complex objects as well, of course.

- Oshyan

DeathTwister

Hay Oshyan,

/winks well I knew that /smiles......Just letting ya know I have a ship in dry dock waiting for a new coat of paint when the limit gets bigger is all /smiles....thanks for chiming in by the way. I started to try and cut it into pieces, but trying to put them back together in tgd2 with not being able to see the actual mesh was more then I decided I wanted to deal with, unless huge prize money is at stake until a fix comes our way.

At least it wont sink while I am waiting for new cans of paint hahahahahaha.

DT
ATOMIX Productions