Soft Shadow work around (with image)

Started by moodflow, June 02, 2007, 11:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

@calico: I coul not find that image ... do you have a link?

@moodlflow: I used to use lightdomes in Bryce, too ... I was not able to get it that way in TG2 - thanks for showing the way - it is a great solution!

Volker

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

Quote from: Volker Harun on July 03, 2007, 01:55:18 PM
@calico: I coul not find that image ... do you have a link?

@moodlflow: I used to use lightdomes in Bryce, too ... I was not able to get it that way in TG2 - thanks for showing the way - it is a great solution!

Volker

I did create a light dome for TG2, but wasn't impressed with the results.  It might have been due to it competing with GI, but I'll need to go back and verify.

Its just hard when these rendertimes take hours for a simple check...
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

moodflow

I think the soft image .tgc could be used after you get your image all touched up and ready for the final render.  When its ready, just delete the single sun and load the .tgc

You just need to make sure the core sun in the tgc matches your original sun's position (preferrably vice versa), or the lighting in your scene will change.

I built both off of the standard sun position.  I don't know of any way to easily change their position values without doing it manually.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

...and it's awesome.  By the way.

Quote from: moodflow on July 03, 2007, 08:25:17 PM
I think the soft image .tgc could be used after you get your image all touched up and ready for the final render.  When its ready, just delete the single sun and load the .tgc

You just need to make sure the core sun in the tgc matches your original sun's position (preferrably vice versa), or the lighting in your scene will change.

I built both off of the standard sun position.  I don't know of any way to easily change their position values without doing it manually.

Volker Harun

The lightdomes I used in Bryce had soft shadows turned on ,-) (Example: external Link)

The caclulations could be made using an 'Excel'-sheet and saving this as a text file. I am not that much into Excel but think that it could work.

Volker Harun

rcallicotte

What do you mean, Volker?  Sorry I'm not following your understanding.

Volker Harun

Hi Calico!

The TGD- or Clip-file are textfiles which contain the coordinates of the sun(s).
I was thinking of a program that calculates the coordinates of the soft-shadow-suns when changing the coordinates of the main-sun. And this program should work with those XML-files TG2TP works with.

My first idea was using a datasheet program like Excel or Ooo-Calc. They are capable of using text and numbers.

rcallicotte

Right. I'm working on a program now that can create a TGC for something else, but doing this sounds intriguing and beyond me at the same time.  I'm sure it isn't (beyond me), but needs some thought.  Are you saying we could do something to the TGD during the render or we could affect the TGD before render?  This is the best I can do in a forum like this - ask questions one or two at a time.  I'd like to see something come from this.

Quote from: Volker Harun on July 04, 2007, 01:17:11 PM
Hi Calico!

The TGD- or Clip-file are textfiles which contain the coordinates of the sun(s).
I was thinking of a program that calculates the coordinates of the soft-shadow-suns when changing the coordinates of the main-sun. And this program should work with those XML-files TG2TP works with.

My first idea was using a datasheet program like Excel or Ooo-Calc. They are capable of using text and numbers.

Volker Harun

Just as moodflow has suggested - create the render with that single sun. When atmospherics and lighting are fine, then replace the sun with the recalculated soft-shadow-clip. Then starting the render.

Changing the tgd during the render ... I had some fummy results when doing this ... at least they were non consistant renders  ;D

,-) Volker

rcallicotte

I've used moodflow's sun clips and found this very useful.  The rendering time is somewhat long and is the basic deterrent for me from using these all the time.

Volker Harun

A testrender I made yesterday with the purpose of testing some XFrog-plants' texturing and translucency gave a very promising render - the only point that was distracting were those harsh shadows.
I'll be off the weekend after and 'll run that 8hour thingy with soft shadows.
Volker

rcallicotte

There are two versions.  One is more intensive, and hence much longer render times, than the other.  Perhaps moodflow can say more...

Quote from: Volker Harun on July 06, 2007, 08:56:40 AM
A testrender I made yesterday with the purpose of testing some XFrog-plants' texturing and translucency gave a very promising render - the only point that was distracting were those harsh shadows.
I'll be off the weekend after and 'll run that 8hour thingy with soft shadows.
Volker

Volker Harun

The smaller version (the NOT-huge) is fair enough for renders with random surfaces.
The Huge-version should only be used when the shadow meets a flat portion of surface (or a closeup).

I am going to use the lite-version  ;D ;D ;D

Volker Harun

A minor update as my patience is not well trained  ;)

The two attached images are:
1. A downsized and sharpened testrender with a single sun yesterday
2. A screenshot of a running render with the Lite-versions of moodflow's unvaluable softshadow-clip

You might see the difference of the shadows on the ground. And that the tree look less plastified is a bit obvious.
This is still just some play-around to get some decent plants - some overcast will be needed to satisfy me. But ...

The lighting is an improvement. An increase, a benefit!
Rendertimes of the first image (1024x768px - Testrender [please do not hit me  ;)]) were 8.5 hours
The running render (800x600px) did not reach the 5.5 hours yet and I'll doubt that it will take longer than 8 hours in total. Which would be a time factor of about 1.7 against a quality benifit multiplyer of at least 4 ;D

Give it a try!

Volker  :) ;D ;)