Soft Shadow work around (with image)

Started by moodflow, June 02, 2007, 11:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Great job, moodflow.  Like both results.  I hope we can have something simpler from Planetside though as well as faster render times with such lighting.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

Quote from: calico on July 11, 2007, 09:09:09 AM
Great job, moodflow.  Like both results.  I hope we can have something simpler from Planetside though as well as faster render times with such lighting.

Agreed! :-)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Volker Harun

Two images are linked that use the 8°-softlight setup.
Both use 4096² heightfields and quite the same amount of shaders.

This one has normal atmospheric settings and the render took a bit less than 27 minutes (Q 0.75, AA3, GI 1/1)

This one hase one 3D cloudlayer with ~60 samples (raytraced shadows turned on) and atmospheres was rendering with 75 samples. Else, the settings were the same as the render above. Rendertime was a bit less than 28 hours.

So my conlusion is: Use the softlight, but beware of the clouds ,-)

Volker Harun

rcallicotte

Wow, Volker, beautiful results!  I love both.  Great terrain and wonderful perspective.  The second one reminded me of LOTR immediately.

I have found clouds and special situations with the atmosphere tend to up the render times significantly.  But, then again, the results from special effects with clouds and special atmospheric phenomenon tend to bring something extra.   :)

rcallicotte

Moodflow, your work is immeasurably useful.  Can't wait until this side of TG2 takes off.  With all of your knowledge, you'll be a wizard by then.

Quote from: moodflow on July 09, 2007, 09:43:19 PM
Soft shadows via diffuse light (using a light dome):

This would simulate more of an overcast day.  It has more of that "image based lighting" look to it, though still more work to do.

The rendertimes go sky-high on these, even more than I expected, but the results are nice.

moodflow

Quote from: calico on July 17, 2007, 11:01:06 AM
Moodflow, your work is immeasurably useful.  Can't wait until this side of TG2 takes off.  With all of your knowledge, you'll be a wizard by then.

Quote from: moodflow on July 09, 2007, 09:43:19 PM
Soft shadows via diffuse light (using a light dome):

This would simulate more of an overcast day.  It has more of that "image based lighting" look to it, though still more work to do.

The rendertimes go sky-high on these, even more than I expected, but the results are nice.

Thanks Calico.  I'm glad you guys have "seen the light" when it comes to soft shadows. 

Not sure about the wizard part, but I am definitely excited about the possibilities.  I have about 10 or so images completed that I am very excited about.  But the render times have been too long, even without the soft shadows and such.  So when multicore and network rendering become available, I think we'll start seeing some amazing stuff.

rcallicotte

Aye, aye.  When the render times decrease, we'll see much better renders.

old_blaggard

Those are awesome renders, Volker!  You definitely have a way with textures.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Matt

Hi Volker,

These are some nice scenes. Would you be willing to share the source files so that I can test them with TG2's soft shadows feature which is coming in the next update? (Yes, you did read that correctly :) )

I will post images and render time comparisons.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bigben

moodflow

Matt/Volker,

This is great news.

Be sure to keep in mind there are 2 types of soft shadow workarounds.   One is for faster renders, but less accuracy.  The other is way more accurate, but takes longer to render, but with more realistic results. 

It would be great to see how each version holds up against the true soft shadows code.

The clip files are attached for anyone who wants to try them.

They are both set at the standard sun position, heading 300 degrees, elevation 25 degrees.  They are a pain to move, since you have to manually go in and change each sun parameter (I've done this a few times for some upcoming images).  Overall, the results are very impressive (as seen in Volker's images), and especially if you have patience ;-).

Volker Harun

Okay, the archive is uploading and should be available in 20 minutes. File Size is 24 MByte including textures (copyrighted by Mayang) and a heightfield.
I hope that it'll help: Download

Volker (<--- being a bit ashamed of the simplness of this render  ;) ;D )

Uplad is finished - the other scene will be uploaded later (back home).

Matt

Many thanks moodflow and Volker. I'll post back here when I have some comparisons.

Matt

moodflow

Quote from: Volker Harun on July 19, 2007, 07:29:18 AM
Okay, the archive is uploading and should be available in 20 minutes. File Size is 24 MByte including textures (copyrighted by Mayang) and a heightfield.
I hope that it'll help: Download

Volker (<--- being a bit ashamed of the simplness of this render  ;) ;D )

Uplad is finished - the other scene will be uploaded later (back home).

No need to be ashamed.  You have created some excellent work! 

Matt

Hi Volker,

You're killing me with these 68 cloud samples ;) I can't see any noise at all, so why so many samples? Or is it like the old Head & Shoulders ad (UK): "Man: 'I didn't know you had noise!' Woman: 'I don't.' "

Matt