Some apps that may be useful to you as artists.

Started by TheBadger, June 26, 2013, 09:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi,

Just ran into two apps that I did not know about before. They may be useful to you as artists recreating things from the real world.

1) "Smart app" from iTunes: Tree Encyclopedia .99 cents. A comprehensive interactive app for iPad and phone that "gives visual insights into most ALL existing trees on this planet... with over 500,000 text characters of detailed information."

Given all the talk about making tree models, this may be a good buy.

2) "Desktop app" from the "app store": Essential Anatomy $24.99 (on sale) (also available for ipad). Is a interactive resource intended for medical applications. But would likely be of great benefit to 3D character artists. Human anatomy only.

This anatomy one is of great interest to me personally. Im learning character modeling, rigging, animation, so for humanoid models this is directly useful reference material and information. Basic facts of anatomy provided in the app can also be applied to non-humanoid models. And in the end MUCH cheaper than some text books I was thinking about buying! There are also a number of fee apps for your phone, don't know if they are any good though.
It has been eaten.

efflux

That essential anatomy looks brilliant. I've wanted an app like that or years. Why did it take so long? Ipad though. Maybe it's worth getting an Ipad?

I have a book called Artistic Anatomy by Dr Paul Richer. I think that's the best book but seeing things in 3D is another level altogether.

TheBadger

The app in question is for the MAC desktop. And/or the iPad. They are different versions.
The app store is different than iTunes.

I was going to write a note to "treesketch" people and see if they had plans to make there app available for the desktop on the app store too.
It has been eaten.

efflux

I see. I've found the desktop version now. I might get this but I have problem because it won't run on my Macbook, only my Mini but that isn't where I'd need it be to use for artwork.

Yes. Contacting those Treesketch people might be worth it. Let us know what they say. Maybe some other people can contact them as well.

efflux

I just found this:

http://www.zygotebody.com/

Not as cool at all but maybe there are alternatives.

I can draw but I don't know anatomy. If you learn that you can draw more easily just from your mind. Same would go for 3D. In fact that's probably a lot harder without anatomy knowledge.

efflux

Here's one. This looks really good but the problem is it seems to be three apps. Muscle and even skeleton is good for art but the circulatory part being separate isn't so cool because you see veins over muscle.

http://www.visiblebody.com/index.html

efflux

No, I got that wrong. There is one version that covers everything.