30 seconds left (Final animation in the animation section)

Started by Hannes, June 27, 2013, 12:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

That is one HOT render :) Print-worthy IMHO. Congrats!

TheBadger

Animation animation animation!
It has been eaten.

Hannes

;D ;D ;D
Unfortunately this image only works with this POV. If I'd animate this you would all realise that I cheated ;).
I wish there was a cool particle system in TG where you could also use cloud puffs as particles to create a fiery trail behind the asteroid...

Andrew March

Much better, can you do the shot a couple of seconds later with the fiery ball slightly further away from the camera?

ratfugel

Hannes, I can understand how my words didn't quite register as it's quite a common phrase here in the UK.  Should have realized, sorry.  What I meant is that you have created an image which tells a story.  It's for the viewer to follow it through and realize there is going to be one hell of an impact at the end of the thirty seconds. Brilliant!  Photoshop blurs  might just have helped, but I doubt it.  However, just for the hell of it I am going to put your image into Photoshop and try it out myself.  (Since I've been teaching PS for years I ought to be able to do something with it I reckon).

rat.

Hannes

Thanks again, guys!
Andrew, this is exactly what I can't do, because once you see more of this asteroid, you'll notice that it's just a glowing potato. If there was a convincing huge fiery trail behind it (which I have no idea on how to create one), it would of course be possible.
Particles! Particles! Particles! :(

@Rat: ah, I see. Thank you! Feel free to post it here.

ratfugel

Hey Hannes, thanks for letting me show what would happen if some blurring was applied to your already super fireball image.  I haven't blurred the lot, only the parts that seem to matter.  I've also warmed it up a bit where it's impacting the atmosphere and done a bit of sharpening of the planet below.  It's highly debatable whether I've done any good, but only you can say.

rat.

choronr

A scene in line with the times when people are beginning to realize the threats that exist. Excellent creation Hannes, this is truly an exciting image.

Icegrip

Outstanding! I like the motion blurred one the most :)

Tangled-Universe

That looks pretty cool.
The asteroid might be a bit too much in the face, but it is well executed!

About animating; I remember you once did an avalanche animation Hannes?
I suppose theoretically you could use similar techniques for a smoke trail here. No fire though.

Cheers,
Martin

TheBadger

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 01, 2013, 04:06:20 PM
About animating; I remember you once did an avalanche animation Hannes?
I suppose theoretically you could use similar techniques for a smoke trail here. No fire though.
Cheers,
Martin

Hey Yeah! Why not? Can you do it?
At least maybe as an ice trail on a comet not on a coalition course? The comet could just be passing by!

I wanted to do something similar but thought it was to advanced a topic for me. If you have time maybe you will try it Hannes.
In the end I thought I would make my planet in T2 and do a comet in AE with E3d. But it was hard to get the placement and scale of the tail right in 3D space. But if you could get it working in T2, reasonably well, then it would be easy to add FX and details in AE. It could look rather extraordinary if the base part in T2 was good.
It has been eaten.

Hannes

Thanks for your thoughts. I'd love to animate this, but creating a convincing trail will be quite difficult if not impossible in TG. It might work in combination with other 3d apps as suggested.
I don't think the technique I used for my avalanche animation would work here, since it was nothing but moving localised clouds with an animated cloud fractal and a tilted camera faking a view up the mountain.
I'll give it a try to first animate the asteroid without thinking about how to create the fx stuff. This is going to be tough...

Tangled-Universe

I remember an old thread where someone made smoke trails of a rocket, using blue nodes to create lines/tubes as a mask for the cloud's fractal.
You need something similar here. Just a thick procedural tube shaped mask which extends in time in the direction of the comet's trajectory.

I'll search for the topic, it exists, definitely.

Tangled-Universe

There you go:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,4090.0.html

That link is 5 years old, geez, I'm wondering if I'm even normal when I can remember this  :o