Idea Everyone Here could do

Started by zionner, June 03, 2007, 04:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zionner

Well,For Sea couldnt we use a diffrent Hightfield Shader..to generate that part of the ocean

nvseal

I don't think that's possible to do for the entire planet.

Will

what I need is individual output option pur the planet shader so i can get its water.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Oshyan

Using a heightfield shader on a globe is simply not feasible at this point due to projection issues. Heightfields are meant to be a planar representation, they don't work well with spheres. Use procedurals for best results, possibly (partially) directed by image maps in spherical projection. You can use blend shaders to vary your terrain features and blend between different areas. For water you could use a merge shader controlled by a large scale Power Fractal with one input being your entire terrain network and the other being a constant or water wave shape power fractal.

- Oshyan

Will

I've done the image map type thing, a While back and it worked pretty well.

regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

zionner

Quote from: Oshyan on June 04, 2007, 04:32:01 PM
Using a heightfield shader on a globe is simply not feasible at this point due to projection issues. Heightfields are meant to be a planar representation, they don't work well with spheres. Use procedurals for best results, possibly (partially) directed by image maps in spherical projection. You can use blend shaders to vary your terrain features and blend between different areas. For water you could use a merge shader controlled by a large scale Power Fractal with one input being your entire terrain network and the other being a constant or water wave shape power fractal.

- Oshyan

What i meant, was to try and use Sperate Heightsield Shaders for Sea Beds, Which could eliminate the Problem of mountian tops coming through the sea?

Or, Perhaps during this project (If it happens) A few of us who know how might be able to develop a plug-in to remove certain parts from the Fractal Shader

Oshyan

As I said using heightfields really wouldn't be ideal, unless by "heightfield" you are referring generically to any terrain shader, which is potentialy confusing.

There is also no need to develop a plugin to "remove certain parts from the fractal shader". Simply use a Blend Shader and you can already achieve this.

- Oshyan

zionner

Ah, Never thought of that, So what if we used the Blend Shader to Flatten out The Bumpy Parts we dont want, And Perhaps..Twist and Shear Shader to Help Make Large Scale Mountians ect?

Oshyan

Using the blend shader input in this way is exactly what I suggest, except it doesn't "flatten" something, it simply prevents *new* displacement from being in certain areas. Thus the terrain that previously existed would already have to be flat for this to work. The planet starts out flat so you would basically use a Blend Shader on the very first terrain shader using a Power Fractal at very large scale as your blender. A better way if you want to build up a whole terrain network first would be to create the basic terrain then use a Merge shader at the end of the chain between a constant and the terrain network you've build up and using a large scale Power Fractal as a mix controller.

Twist and Shear isn't really going to help you make good mountains. Have you worked with this shader before?

- Oshyan

zionner

Yeh, Well, Ive Made a Few Mountain Ranges From the shader before by pointing them Very High Up, and it starts to look Kind of like a mountian Range