Lost Coast

Started by Simius Strabus, June 29, 2013, 01:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simius Strabus

Here's another scene. C&C is very welcome.
Why stop dreaming when you wake up?

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

Bjur

Was comming from an eve-of-wedding party.

Very cool framing, mood and scene and it's depth in all!

As a very drunken person now, just the water in the foreground needs more love i say.. 
~ The annoying popularity of Vue brought me here.. ~

Hannes

What a beautiful scene! To me the water looks good, but I am sober at the moment ;)
However the trees seem to be very low poly. Maybe you can find some better ones. For example palms?!

Dune

I like this very much. Great light, especially the mist and glow on the rocks. Perhaps the only thing that stands out as (perhaps) not too natural, is the one sided direction and sharpness of the protruding rocks. They would have been worn by the sea/ocean, I suppose. If you make those into billows and only redirect a few areas over the sea, it might be perfect.
But nevertheless a very fine scene.

Simius Strabus

Thanks for the c&c guys. Appreciate it. Going on a trip this week. Get to the billows thing asap.

Why stop dreaming when you wake up?

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

Tangled-Universe

Nice scene.
I like the wildness of the rocks although I agree with Ulco to break them up.
Ulco's suggestion is good, I would definitely try it.

What's also worth trying I think, if you have time, is to add your twist and shear shader as a child layer of a surface layer.
So disconnect it entirely from the network and replace it completely with a surface layer (which has no colour).
The re-connect your twist and shear shader into the network by attaching it to the surface layer's child layer input port.
With the twist and shear hooked up and controlled by the surface layer you can restrict that shader by slope/altitude and by a blend/breakup-shader.

Set the surface layer coverage to 0.5 and fractal breakup value to 1.
Now your surface layer's coverage is 100% controlled by the coverage of the fractal breakup's fractal.
Go to that fractal and give it meaningful scales, like 100 metres feature size, 100 metres lead in scale and 10 metres smallest scale.
Make sure that you don't have too many octaves, as fine noise will give you very sudden transitions from "non-twist and sheared" to "twist and sheared terrain", thus very spiky displacements.
Keeping octaves low prevent that.
Furthermore in the colour tab of the fractal breakup you can control the contrast of the fractal and how much of the small scale is visible (roughness setting).
Use a contrast of about 2-3 and roughness of about 0.5 to 1.
With the offset you can increase/decrease overall coverage.

This all seems like a lot of work, but is really a 1 minute thing to set up.

efflux

I'm not so sure about the critique of the spikiness. Maybe the closer parts look a bit over distorted but I think in the distance it's part of the feel of the scene. The lighting is great. Only thing I would say is the water is a bit rough looking in the wrong sort of way because you'd want more wave look but that will be more difficult.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.