Significant digits and animation curve errors

Started by FlynnAD, July 07, 2013, 12:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlynnAD

Hi Planetside,

I'm importing a camera from 3dsmax, which has a very nuanced, small-movement animation. However, the camera is raised way up in elevation on the terrain, above 1,000m, to correspond with DEM data in TG2. One issue arising is that TG2 is rounding the position keys to six significant digits, which causes stepping in the animation curve. So rather than having a smooth data position of 1,234.567m, the data is rounded to

1,234.56m. This happens in two cases:

1. After I import an FBX file into the camera node, the animation curve is perfect. To test, import the FBX file into this .tgd's "camera 8" node and look at the animation curve of position Y. If you then copy and paste this node in TG2 (you can do it yourself, or look at the "camera 8 copied-pasted" node, TG2 rounds the data and loses the third decimal place. Now look at this node's Y-position curve; it's stepped. That step will be visible when the animation is composited with the animation from 3dsmax. It'll look like the terrain is bouncing along.

2. Same rounding error happens after you close and re-open TG2. Now the original "camera 8" that had the smooth Y-position curve is stepped, along with the "camera 8 copied-pasted" node.

Is there a way to increase the number of significant digits, or perhaps specify how many decimal places should be used for position points? It probably makes less difference on rotation axis, as you can only rotate 360d, not 1,000d.

On an old post from 2009, Matt noted that ten significant digits were saved; so why would issue #2 be occurring?
Quote from: Matt on June 09, 2009, 07:37:14 AM
The values you see in the edit boxes may be rounded, but internally the value may have been stored with higher accuracy. The only time this accuracy is lost if if you then start editing the value, in which case you're then 'entering' the truncated displayed value, copying and pasting values etc. (Accuracy can also be lost when saving a .tgd or .tgc, but it stores up to 10 significant digits.)

Info: I'm using FBX to import data, as the ExecStudios exporter for 3ds automatically rounds to six digits in the .chan files it produces.

Thanks,
-Matt

Matt

Hi Matt,

Terragen used to store values with 10 significant figures. Looking at your TGD I can see that the key frame data only have 6 significant figures. I wasn't aware that it was doing that, and I would consider it a bug. We'll fix it.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

FlynnAD