90% discount on CGAxis tree model bundle

Started by Tangled-Universe, July 02, 2013, 04:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Just 10 bucks for this bunch of trees of varying quality.
I think some are quite good and useful so 10 bucks is a steal:

http://www.cgaxis.com/product-info.php?volume5-pid231.html

rcallicotte

Have you tried using the trees yet to see what their like?  This indeed looks like a fantastic price!  Thanks.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

otakar

Thanks for the link. Here's a test render of their sample tree. There was no MTL file with the OBJ version, had to map the materials in Poseray. I'd say it's nothing earth-shattering, most of the trees are of regular shapes, but the price is low for the bundle.

rcallicotte

Thanks Otakar!  Looks pretty good, nonetheless.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

I think that sample tree isn't the best of the bundle, but regardless of that I think 10 bucks for a bunch of potential "filler" trees for mid- to distant shots is just a fine price :)

jaf

First, it appears most of the meshes have some non-planar poly's (at least Lightwave "complains" about that when doing a fbx import.  Second, some of the tree meshes are huge where Poseray can't handle the size (Poseray is 32 bit.)  Also, as mentioned above, most of the trees are too regular looking (symmetrical) but maybe that could be fixed by some mesh editing.

Quote from: otakar on July 02, 2013, 06:40:16 PM
Thanks for the link. Here's a test render of their sample tree. There was no MTL file with the OBJ version, had to map the materials in Poseray. I'd say it's nothing earth-shattering, most of the trees are of regular shapes, but the price is low for the bundle.

Hi okatar.  Could you elaborate a bit on how you mapped the materials in Poseray?  I have the FBX, which I tried to use with Lightwave, which usually load into Poseray just fine. I tried the obj meshes directly in Poseray, but haven't had much luck using the supplied maps with the leaves. 

There are four maps; trunk/limbs color & bump, leaf color and jpg mask.  When I load the obj into Poseray, I go to materials and under Tools, select "Groups -> Materials, which gives me the wood and leaf materials where I can apply the images.  However, I'm just not getting the correct positioning of the leaf color/transparency masks.

I'm likely doing something "dumb."
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02