Returnee to TG

Started by EdBardet, July 14, 2013, 10:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdBardet

After a few year absence I am returning to TG BUT - I have a very basic concern. I used TG to develop specific terrain. This is for settings of buildings and objects developed in other applications. In other words I had designed or sketched the terrain I wanted to model. General elevations, water, contours etc. Looking at my version (which I've kept up to date and is 2.5) I cannot see any way to develop a custom terrain. It seems that only the things that are supported are via the nodes. Is there a way to do specific detailed work. If so can someone point me to a tutorial or other reference?
Thanx
Ed

TheBadger

Hi

I think you will find that whatever your trying to do, others have tried it also, and posted info on the process.
Having said that, it not entirely clear from your post what you want to do.

There are a number of ways to get data into Terragen and use it to form a terrain. The easiest way for someone to help you is to clearly define what your trying to do. What are you attempting to use as a data set?

You can use vectors, you can use elevation data based on real earth terrain, you can use photoshop, it just depends. Please clarify what you want, and how you think it can/should be done.
It has been eaten.

EdBardet

Thanks for the reply. I am not dealing with data per sec. (not dealing with a full deck? ;) )  I'm beginning to get back into the swing of things. By opening a heightfield generator in a new window, and using a painted shader on the map I believe I can get what I need. I'll play with it for a spell and get back to the forum if I need more help.
Thanx again,
Ed

EdBardet

I figured it out - just have to load it from a .ter file- DUH
Ed

bobbystahr

Quote from: EdBardet on July 16, 2013, 05:50:32 PM
I figured it out - just have to load it from a .ter file- DUH
Ed
baby steps at first...welcome back
something borrowed,
something Blue.