Crash with latest version of terragen2 under linux/wine

Started by rajm, July 28, 2013, 03:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rajm

I've just updated to Terragen2Deep25050-32.msi on my machine running kubuntu 13.10, before the update terragen ran ok but now it always crashes on startup.

The messages from stdout around the crash are as follows

ReadXML: done
Content path for "Project" set to "C:\Program Files\Planetside Software\Terragen 2 Deep Edition\Terragen_2.ucr\Generic\"
Content path for "Project" set to ""
creating camera (269227344)
ERROR: Unable to load GL font!
ERROR: Font Error!
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x383d9a (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_parse_subprogram Unhandled Tag type 0x26 at ctx(0x33c10c,L"libc.so.6"), for debug_info(abbrev:0x56f520,symt:0x627598)

Looks like some sort of font problem? I tried recopying  /usr/share/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial.ttf  to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts (this was the fix last time I had this problem and I did this again just to check it was up to date) but this hasn't improved things and still crashes. Is there another font file I'm likely to need to copy to the wine area?

Robert

jo

Hi Robert,

We don't support TG on Wine, although people do get it working. I don't know if this will help but I'll give you a few details. On Windows TG checks in the Registry for installed fonts. For Arial it would be looking for "Arial (TrueType)" which would point it to the "Arial.ttf" file name for the font, if I'm remembering this correctly. It then asks Windows for the font folder (CSIDL_FONTS) and tries to find the font file there. There is a fallback so if it can't find Arial it looks for Verdana and then Tahoma. From the output you posted it looks like none of those fonts are being found.

No idea what if any of that information is helpful or confusing :-). As far as I know people do get it working on Wine though.

Regards,

Jo

rajm

Thanks for that, there seems to be a difference between my installation of Terragen2Deep25050-32.msi and Terragen2Deep24311-32.msi - the 24311 version works and the later one doesn't - I've gone back to the 24311 by uninstalling the later one and it's now fine again. Is there a difference between those 2 versions in the fonts which it asks for?

I've tried running it with strace and get the following for Arial (in the 25050 non-working version)
3045  open("/home/robert/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Planetside Software/Terragen 2 Deep Edition/Terragen_2.ucr/Generic/splash4_deep.tif", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE) = 65
3042  open("/home/robert/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/Fonts/Arial.ttf", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 31
3042  open("/home/robert/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/Fonts/Arial.ttf", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 31
3042  stat64("/home/robert/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/robert/Application Data", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0

31 = too many links? That file exists and is readable, going through that path there's only the one soft link of c: -> ../drive_c

Further down the log I get
3042  stat64("/home/robert/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/Fonts/Z:/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Verdana.ttf", 0x32efa4) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

that path looks wrong (I have Z: mapped to / in winecfg)

I know you don't support this wine/linux combination but in case anyone can add any insight...

Robert

Cqoicebordel

I know it's an old topic, but I just solved it in my case, so I'll share with you.

First thanks for both of you, who pointed me in the right direction.

In regedit, I explored HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\Fonts and found that there was no entry for Arial.
I added a string value "Arial (TrueType)" with the value "Z:/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial.ttf", like the others.

But it didn't work.
I straced it, and like rajm, I had this line :
stat64("/home/cqoicebordel/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/Fonts/Z:/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial.ttf", 0x33efc4) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

So I modified the value in regedit to be "Arial.ttf", and it worked !

(of course, don't forget to put a copy of the file "Arial.ttf" in your "~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts/" folder)

rajm

kalwalt

i can confirm that it works! many thanks for sharing this! ;D
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

chateauferret

Serious kudos for this genius. I had the same issue for Terragen 3 and have now managed to open it by doing this (Ubuntu 14.10 and Wine 1.7.17). I had no idea Wine even had the blasted Registry. Live and learn.