Flower Fields as far as the eye can see...

Started by moodflow, June 09, 2007, 03:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

Still needs to be rendered higher quality.  This smaller resolution version (for the proof of concept) took quite a long time as-is.

My goal was to be as photorealistic as possible.   Still some work to do though...

I know TG2 already has the ability to look photo-real if done properly.   We just need to do it right.  I can't wait to see what we'll all have in a year or two...

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Oshyan

Wow, those clouds are looking really cool! Can't wait to see the larger version. :)

- Oshyan

ProjectX

There is indeed much niceness in this image

old_blaggard

Yup, it's looking good!  I look forward to seeing how it evolves.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Very nice.  Can't wait to see the final version.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

mr-miley

Mmmmmm, prety. Very nice image, also can't wait to see the full sized one. Its bringing my hay feaver on just looking at it  ;D
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

BPauba

Those clouds look great! I also love the whole mood of the scene. My only critique would be the lack of cloud shadowing in the foreground. It seems like the camera is just in a lit area, but I think the image would benefit from a foreground cloud shadow. This would break up the mass of patterned color and give the image a bit more mood. Well that's my two cents at least. Great looking image :D.

bigben

Nice image...

Just a though on the population... The distribution looks a little too uniform, both in terms of size and spacing. You could try adding some extra variation by duplicating the population and feeding the fractal for the density shader into two colour adjust shaders.

Drop the density on both populations, change the seed in the population (not the density fractal) and tweak the two colour adjust shaders.

Population 1:
smaller objects, colour adjust: decrease black level a bit (uncheck "clamp below black")

Population 2:
bigger objects, colour adjust: increase black level a little, decrease white level a little

Attached a sample clip of what I mean using shaders.  Just an idea... haven't actually tried it yet.

What this should do is give you a higher density of taller flowers near the centre of the "clumps" and providing some falloff of height towards the open spaces. Dropping the black level in pop'n 1 should also put a thin scattering of small plants in the open areas.

moodflow

Quote from: BPauba on June 13, 2007, 03:19:53 AM

Those clouds look great! I also love the whole mood of the scene. My only critique would be the lack of cloud shadowing in the foreground. It seems like the camera is just in a lit area, but I think the image would benefit from a foreground cloud shadow. This would break up the mass of patterned color and give the image a bit more mood. Well that's my two cents at least. Great looking image :D.

I agree.  I will definitely add something like that for sure.  Thanks for the idea!

moodflow

Thanks BigBen.  The distribution was something I've been working on.  I found out after I started this render on how to change the fractals for more 'clumps', which I hope will break this up a bit.

As for getting the taller flowers towards the center of the clump, thats what I wanted, but I had no idea how to do it (other than a few different populations of increasing height, and fractal contrast to get smaller patches). 

I'll take a look at the clip file you posted once I get home, as it sounds even better.

Quote from: bigben on June 14, 2007, 07:42:39 PM
Nice image...

Just a though on the population... The distribution looks a little too uniform, both in terms of size and spacing. You could try adding some extra variation by duplicating the population and feeding the fractal for the density shader into two colour adjust shaders.

Drop the density on both populations, change the seed in the population (not the density fractal) and tweak the two colour adjust shaders.

Population 1:
smaller objects, colour adjust: decrease black level a bit (uncheck "clamp below black")

Population 2:
bigger objects, colour adjust: increase black level a little, decrease white level a little

Attached a sample clip of what I mean using shaders.  Just an idea... haven't actually tried it yet.

What this should do is give you a higher density of taller flowers near the centre of the "clumps" and providing some falloff of height towards the open spaces. Dropping the black level in pop'n 1 should also put a thin scattering of small plants in the open areas.

efflux

I definitely think you could fool someone into thinking this is a photo. Of course that's going to be more difficult with a bigger image but very well done. Nice clouds. The stretchedness gives them movement.