'Raytrace atmosphere' in Terragen 3

Started by Scribbler, August 08, 2013, 12:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribbler

I'm using the pre-release version of Terragen 3 at work for a VFX shot of some high level clouds.  I've used Terragen 2.5 for similar shots in the past.

In the past, the only way I've entirely eliminated the 'buzzing' on some clouds is to check the 'Raytrace Atmosphere' option.

This has disappeared from the render options in Terragen 3, replaced with 'Defer Atmo/Clouds'.  This doesn't appear to do the same thing - I'm still seeing micropolygon buzzing.

These changes (I would assume) have to do with the new render layer / AoV options - but I'd still like the option to raytrace the clouds.  Is the only way to do this going to be 'raytrace everything'?

Any info appreciated - I couldn't find any documentation or forum posts on this topic.  I'm really liking the new vortex shader, but if necessary I'll downgrade to 2.5

Cheers

Scribbler

Matt

"Defer atmo/cloud" is just the new name for "ray trace atmosphere". It should do the same thing. Perhaps something else is going on. Is the buzzing happening at the pixel scale or slightly larger? Flickering on the scale of a few pixels could be cause the "acceleration cache" in each cloud layer, and setting it to "None" might help. If it really is pixel noise, maybe you need to increase the anti-aliasing and/or increase quality on the cloud layers or atmosphere node.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Scribbler

Damn - that's the one setting I forgot about.  Apologies.

I thought the render technique had changed in some way - good to know there is a simple fix.

Many thanks for the speedy reply.

Scribbler