Disabled node still affecting cloud node.

Started by Kadri, August 09, 2013, 11:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

I tried to connect an image or power fractal node to change the color of a cloud.
When you disable that color node, but don't break the connection , the cloud gets still kinda tinted.
More then one input of the cloud node does show the same behavior .

TG 3.0.05.0  64 bit , Windows 8 64 bit.

Dune

Not with me; win 7 32 bit.

Kadri

Can you try it with the light-color inputs on the right side Ulco?

Dune

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, confirmed. Strange. Color of fractal is yellow. I'll file a bug report.

Matt

The output of a single, disabled shader is black. This looks like it's probably working as expected. This is the same as what happens when you connect disabled shaders as blend shaders or any other similar situation.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kadri

From your point of view you are right probably Matt
but until now i thought that a disabled node and a disconnected node get the same output.
I did not think about this even.

Interestingly i don't remember anyone talking about this.
I searched for the problem for some hours until i thought this is a
prerelease maybe it has a bug and looked at those disabled shaders .
This could be one of the reasons i got sometimes strange , inconsistent results.

I don't like this behavior because from now on i will always think if that disabled node does something or not.
So i will prefer disconnecting them.

Good to know at least.
Thanks Matt.

Dune

Good to know indeed, Matt. Sorry for filing at the test forum.

WAS

I noticed if you have a ambient colour picked, and set it to 0 (black), it will still emit the colour original picked on a very, very faint level, only really noticeable with a white light source and planet/atmosphere/sun disabled.

Matt

Quote from: WASasquatch on May 13, 2018, 02:09:59 PM
I noticed if you have a ambient colour picked, and set it to 0 (black), it will still emit the colour original picked on a very, very faint level, only really noticeable with a white light source and planet/atmosphere/sun disabled.

Can you send me (or paste here) a node where this is happening?

Matt

You can copy a node and paste it into a text editor. There you should be able to see the full precision values of the ambient colour, and see if it's anything other than "0 0 0".

Matt

WAS

Quote from: Matt on May 13, 2018, 11:39:57 PM
You can copy a node and paste it into a text editor. There you should be able to see the full precision values of the ambient colour, and see if it's anything other than "0 0 0".

Matt

I'll search my nebula files. I left one of them saved with the issue.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I found the file, and it doesn't seem to be effecting the clouds at all like I had noticed before. Whether settings, or from updating from 4.1.11