Painted Shader v3

Started by DannyG, August 09, 2013, 07:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

I hope this is on the list of fixes, its not any worst than with v2, but it still unstable .. extremely
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

jo

Hi Danny,

What sorts of problems are you having? I wouldn't have characterised it as being extremely unstable by any means.

Regards,

Jo

DannyG

Bit frustrated at the time of posting, however anytime I use it close to the camera it becomes unstable that I think is a fair statement (constant crashes while populating) I am aware that this feature can be quite hungry for memory. I have plenty, Unfortunately the eco painter in Vue works flawlessly in comparison. I of course prefer to work in TG much more for many reasons, I really hope this particular function will work better in the future. Its a needed tool IMHO
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

jo

Hi Danny,

I'll have a look at it. So you're mainly having problems during population? That might be related to some other stability problems we've been looking at with populations.

Can you send me a project file showing the problem if you have one please? My email address is:

jomeder@planetside.co.uk

Regards,

Jo

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

masonspappy

I don't know if there's any relation between what Danny sees and I'm seeing, but sometimes I'm getting crashes  - not sure if it's the painted shader or the populator. But a couple of times now I've used the painted shader to mask out an area which is then populated with trees. When I go to render,  the screen fades and I eventually get a message that the program has stopped working. Don't think memory is an issue since I'm using less than 2 GB my 8GB total.  System is I7 w/ 8 cores (4 real, 4 threaded).  No other programs are running at the time.  Doesn't happen all the time but frequency of occurrence seems to be increasing.

jo

Hi,

I think these problems might be more related to the populator than the painted shader. We've made some stability improvements for the next release and hopefully they will clear these sorts of problems up. I've been playing around a bit with populators and painted shaders and haven't had any problems so far, but I might not be doing it in quite the same way others are. If these problems aren't fixed in the next release rest assured we'll make it a priority to get to the bottom of it.

Regards,

Jo

masonspappy

DannyG

Mason what you are describing is exactly what is going on with me, not sure if the root cause is the same obviously but .. same white out and error message. Jo appreciate your time, I'm sure you guys will sort it out
Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

bobbystahr

My crash problem was happening when I'd been editing a model's(generally a veg of some kind) textures in the Network interface and I switch back to the 3D preview mode. Also sometimes after doing an edit and switching screens I'll get a hang as well with the greying, but if I wait it out the Not Responding goes away and all is good. It almost seems like TG3 and my computer aren't operating on the same page and it takes a while to catch up.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

but it's much better since I finally noticed the little plus signs all over the Tree View...some times I get so stuck in a method I forget to explore everything on a new update....sigh...as I said I'm much better now.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

As Jo said, these seem to be problems more related to other stability issues we've been aware of. Most of this should be fixed in the next update which is coming soon.

- Oshyan