On generating procedural planets

Started by nvseal, June 12, 2007, 10:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

Not having posted anything on here in a while I thought that I would go ahead and share some images from a project that I was working on a while back (after my cloud test). I was trying to figure out how to generate a complete, detailed planet proceduraly that worked from the ground to space -- like the terracell project. While I in no way approached completing that goal, I thought you all might at least enjoy some of the test renders.  :)

nvseal

And others.

BPauba

I am enjoying the geography that you have created hear. I do not know if it is realistic, but it gives off the impression of realism (which is all that matters!). Good work on that. I would really like to see the planet rendered with earthy tones other then the saturated colors that have been used for obvious reasons! I believe the key to these aerial views is a more complex oceanic system that allows for varying color. Traditionally we would just use transparency on the water shader, but we all know that is not implemented yet! I bet there is a way to add color onto the existing water shader, and if we could figure that out it would be a lot easier to make realistic oceans. Hmmm is it possible to use the water shader as a parent layer, and then add color shaders to that? Just a thought, I cannot test the theory out!

I have a question though. These aerial views seem to intrigue a lot of the forum members. Why is that?

nvseal

Quote from: BPauba on June 13, 2007, 03:03:48 AM
Hmmm is it possible to use the water shader as a parent layer, and then add color shaders to that?
I have a question though. These aerial views seem to intrigue a lot of the forum members. Why is that?

Yes, it is possible to fake the transperency. The water in these images is a sphere with a water shader applied. To fake the transperency I can paste the basic land formations power fractal into the ocean sphere node network. I have done this but it will take more tweaking to look right.

As to why the aerial views intrigue members, I'm not exactly sure. I suppose each individual has their own reasons. But I think that part of the reason is just the amount of detail that can be achieved from high altitudes with minimal effort, if get what I mean  ;).

rcallicotte

It does look pretty real at the lower level...but, what are the colors on the first globe?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

nvseal

The colors are simply altitude controlled surface layers meant to give me an idea of where certain terrain types are grouped (i.e. mountains, hills, vallerys, etc.). They are supposed to help me control the terrain distribution.

rcallicotte

That's cool.  You're taking this much more serious than I thought you were.  When do we see the finale?   :)

nvseal

Quote from: calico on June 13, 2007, 10:24:01 PM
When do we see the finale?   :)

Well, as of right now the project isn't really going anywhere -- or at least not very fast. There are several reasons for this. The first and foremost being the shear complexity of the project. There are other problems with the terrain distribution. Not to mention the lack of fractal noise types. at this point (not that I'm ripping
TG 2, so don't get me wrong. I'm just saying it may be a bit early to attempted something of this magnitude at this stage of development). There is also the matter of maintaining a logical consistency in the terrain and surfacing relative to everything else over the entire planet.  :o But I'm still running specific test so who knows. Maybe some one with understanding of the math needed might come along someday.

Rob Allen

Hello everyone.  I'm still around, but still don't have enough time to put into this stuff (not to mention my main computer is dead right now).  I've been looking in every now and then to see what's going on and I really like this project by nvseal.  It looks like it's been dead for a while (like my Terracell project), but hopefully it'll get ressurected again some day.  If I ever get some time to start Terracell up again, may I integrate what's been done here, or at least take a look at your tgd's, nvseal?

nvseal

Absolutely. I think I posted the tgd once along with some other renders. I'll look for it but if I can't find it I'll just upload it here.

Edit: This had some other pictures of it. http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1536.15
And this: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1629.0
Can't find the file anywhere.

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

nvseal

Here is the file you requested Rob.

rcallicotte

I'm not Rob Allen, but I'll download it.   ;D