Terragen 3 - High mem usage

Started by reck, July 24, 2013, 09:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

Not sure if this is a sign of a memory leak or not. Please take a look at the attached screen grab and you will TG3 using over 4gb of memory when it's just using the default opening scene.

The reason I wondered if it was a leak or not is that when I closed tg3 and reopening it, memory usage drops to around 1gb. So it seems i'd been using it a while and then clicked the new button to reset it to default state and the memory wasn't freed up.

Dune

Sorry, Oshyan...  ;D

Oshyan

Thanks for the report Reck, we'll look into it. Can you give us more detail on what you had been doing prior to creating this New scene? Perhaps working with large populations or objects with the 3D preview?

- Oshyan

reck

I was just testing different things out really, not working on a single project. I had loaded a few populations as I was testing out the new population controls and also the pop caching features. I was hitting new a few times so I could start with a clean scene and try out other bits and bobs. It was then that I noticed the high memory usage. As I mentioned closing TG down and re-opening it dropped the memory usage down from 4gb to 1gb for the same default scene.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if I can reproduce it.

kaedorg

I add my report. TG3 crashed as it did a high quality render and in the same time i tried to "save as" my tgd file.

Oshyan

Please create separate threads for unrelated bug reports. Thanks. :)

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Could all that memory be held in the Undo cache?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

jo

Hi Bobby,

The memory issue mentioned in this thread was fixed for 3.0.07.0.

Regarding the Undo cache, you can see how much it's using if you're worried about it. The Purge Undo menu item (Project menu) and the Undo History window (View menu) both display how much memory is being used by the undo cache.

Regards,

Jo

bobbystahr

Quote from: jo on August 28, 2013, 05:32:24 PM
Hi Bobby,

The memory issue mentioned in this thread was fixed for 3.0.07.0.

Regarding the Undo cache, you can see how much it's using if you're worried about it. The Purge Undo menu item (Project menu) and the Undo History window (View menu) both display how much memory is being used by the undo cache.

Regards,

Jo
I actually knew this (the undo purge, I always look for a purge when there's a lot of undo available..PhotoShop taught me that) but didn't know the problem mentioned was resolved...reading backwards while I render..catching up as best I can....heh heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist