manipulating objects using selection tool

Started by masonspappy, August 25, 2013, 02:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

I frequently must move imported objects in very small increments to get them aligned correctly.  WHen using the selection tool (see picture) I often have to move the camera back from the object before I can manipulate the handles. It would be really nice if I could work up close with the tool so I can see what I'm doing, instead of just guessing how close the object is to the target, or the angle it is at in relation to the tartget.
Anybody have a technique for accomplishing this?

Oshyan

My guess is this is a "clipping plane" issue. Try using the [ left bracket key (the left and right brackets adjust the clipping plane closer or further, respectively). Just press [ a couple times, until the manipulator starts to highlight for you.

- Oshyan

masonspappy

jaf

Also, sometimes it's easier moving objects from the top view.  Center on "xxx" really helps and then zooming in/out.  And show as wireframes makes it easier to judge the size.  Just remember when switching out of top view you click the same icon that got you to top view (not the "copy this view to current render camera".)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

bobbystahr

I've found it much easier to move objects using the numeric input moving in small increments
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist