Terragen 3 Colour Variation in Populations.

Started by Upon Infinity, August 27, 2013, 09:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyWelder

"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

otakar

Ryan, thanks for the sample, I could not get it right either until I downloaded the example. Here's a render with two populations (Walli's dry bushes) using the same variation setup (two merged powerfractals). I love the results. This will be especially welcome for users of the free version, as now single populations can be made to look a lot better with minimal setup. Thumbs up for this new feature!

choronr

otakar, that is a fine looking scene there. Would like to see the finished product.

choronr

Ryan, I noted in your example render with the Willow trees that some have the original color; and, some have the color variation. Is this two populations (one as with color variation via PF - one without)? Having tried your file, I find that the entire population gets tinted by the PF. I thought that setting up a pop with this method would give one a mix of both - some with - some without.

RArcher

Hi Bob,

The render is the direct result from the file posted.  It is just one population of Willows.

choronr

Quote from: RArcher on September 04, 2013, 01:33:58 PM
Hi Bob,

The render is the direct result from the file posted.  It is just one population of Willows.
Thank you Ryan. Why then, am I getting the entire population tinted rather than random tinting?

yossam

choronr

choronr

Thanks Ryan and Richard, that was the key to the color variation - adjusting the scale in the Power fractal as per Ryan's example.

Gotta read more - living in a world of 'instant everything' things run a muck.

choronr

Which setting to adjust is best for color variation in the Power fractal, Feature scale, Lead-in scale or Smallest scale?

otakar

Quote from: choronr on October 01, 2013, 07:08:58 PM
Which setting to adjust is best for color variation in the Power fractal, Feature scale, Lead-in scale or Smallest scale?

All three will be relevant, it depends on the scale of the objects (the population is comprised of) and on your desired kind of variation. In my example above I have used the following values:
Feature scale - 1
Lead-in scale - 45
Smallest scale - .1

choronr

Thank you for this information. I will give it a try.

Dune

I suppose if you rewire the fractal to some blank ground, you can easily see at what scale it works and how strong.

choronr

Upon Infinity

Any chance on getting this implemented into the 3D preview in future updates, or am I just being greedy?