many little rocks

Started by inkydigit, September 02, 2013, 04:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkydigit

Having fun using some fake stone shaders testing some (subtle) new power fractal noise flavours alongside the usual perlin as displacements etc... on top of a GeoControl terrain with added TG displacements!
:)
cheers
Jason

choronr

Looking good Jason. The low sun brings out the shapes and colors nicely all set on a good terrain.

Dune

I still would like to know what's causing these strange 'flat' rocks. They're quite annoying sometimes, especially if you have a nice seed, and there's still a few around. So what is it? Something in the way the fake stones are pulled from the terrain, so it's a terrain 'bug'? Or what?

inkydigit

Thanks.Jo and Ulco... Yeah pancake or pizza stones are a pain... If only we could edit the bad ones and their associated fractals without affecting the surrounding ones...
Cheers
J

TheBadger

Quote from: Dune on September 03, 2013, 03:03:40 AM
I still would like to know what's causing these strange 'flat' rocks. They're quite annoying sometimes, especially if you have a nice seed, and there's still a few around. So what is it? Something in the way the fake stones are pulled from the terrain, so it's a terrain 'bug'? Or what?

Yeah, I have to jump on this too. I find it very discouraging.
I see an image like this and think wow thats great, but these anomalies really keep me from investing much time in learning to make fake stones like in this image and others.

Really, can I even call it an anomaly? It does always seem to be there.

Great work in spite of the issue though, Inky.
It has been eaten.

Dune

The stones are pulled up from the surface and laterally displaced in a clever hidden way, so it might be a bad combination of surface fractals on a miniature scale  :o, so the new larger of the fake stone surface area can't be updated somehow for the following displacements/colors  :-\ Don't know really, maybe Matt or Jo can pinpoint it.

reck

Quote from: inkydigit on September 03, 2013, 03:42:50 PM
... If only we could edit the bad ones and their associated fractals without affecting the surrounding ones...
Cheers
J

What we need is instance editing for fake stones like we now get for populations in TG3. We could then just click on the flat\exploding stones and delete them.

It would be interesting to know what causes it. Exploding stones have been around since day one, but I don't tend to see them as much nowadays, although I do still get a wrong'un quite often.

yossam

Looks good...................put a piece of pepperoni on the really flat one.  :)

Oshyan

They're not instances, just displacement. Paint it out with a Painted Shader.

- Oshyan