Do you use the Windows colour picker?

Started by jo, September 15, 2013, 08:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use the Windows colour picker rather than the TG colour picker?

Yes
9 (64.3%)
No
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

yossam

j meyer

I,too,use all of them,the windows one rather seldom,though.
Also I would like to have a 'real' color picker to pick from external sources,
really miss that option.

jaf

I tend to start with the Windows Color Picker to get a basic color and then use the other pickers to adjust from there.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

efflux

My thoughts on the colour picker.

The most important feature in anything like this is being able to save colours. If I remember right you can do this easily on Mac but Terragen should have some way of saving collections of colours like colour palettes in Gimp or Photoshop. If you look at most art apps whether 2D or 3D this is usually possible. I think in Terragen it's even more important because it's not like you are blending things on a canvas with a brush so defining the right colours for certain environments can be very tricky because it's so subtle. You could build up palettes for various typical environments.

otakar

I use the default picker 90% of the time and the Windows picker the rest of the time. I am with efflux, though, being able to save colors for future reference (or even better entire palettes with meaningful naming) would come very handy. Also, color sampling from external sources would be a welcome feature for me as well.

TheBadger

Quote...(or even better entire palettes with meaningful naming)...

ooooohhhh! That would be nice. The ability to load a pallet from PS or a independent pallet soft, and then limit all TG colors to that pallet (or closest color) would be sweet!
It has been eaten.

fleetwood

I use the Windows picker by habit and because it seems to be the only one where I can enter numerical values for saturation.

I use the TG Wheel the most, so I don't really use Windows picker "rather than", but if I want see the results of dropping saturation for example exactly 5,
the Windows picker is the one I use.

For me Sliding the mouse pointer on the wheel is not very precise. I wish the area of the Wheel colour picker window could be enlarged so
the mouse would be making finer adjustments.

Andrew March

I would like to see a colour picker similar to the Jovian colour picker for Lightwave. Lets me select a colour from an image or anywhere on screen.

jo

Hi,

Quote from: fleetwood on September 22, 2013, 11:25:11 AM
I use the Windows picker by habit and because it seems to be the only one where I can enter numerical values for saturation.

The Sliders panel of the TG color picker has HSB sliders. Use the popup which is RGB by default to choose HSB or greyscale.

Regards,

Jo

jo

Hi everyone,

I should mention that picking colours from the screen and palettes/swatches are some things which I intend to implement in the future.

Regards,

Jo

fleetwood

Seems like I need to get familiar with what the TG colour pickers can do. Missed the HSB option, Thanks Jo

dandelO

I only ever use the HSB tab, it's perfect. A 'save colours' option would be nice and a screen picker even nicer, no big deal though. Can't really get my head around the mixer tab and the wheel isn't as precise as it could be. The HSB tab is great.

jo

Seems like a good place to mention the Colour Picker docs!:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Colour_Picker

Quote from: dandelO on September 23, 2013, 07:13:51 PM
Can't really get my head around the mixer tab and the wheel isn't as precise as it could be.

The Mixer panel lets you mix two different colours to create a new one. Let's say you have a green colour and you want to add some brown to it. Go to the Mixer panel and set Colour 2 to a brown colour. Now use the slider in the Mixture part of the panel to control how much brown gets added to the colour. The values at each end of the slider show what proportion of each colour is contributing to the new colour. Hopefully that explains one of the things you can use the Mixer panel for. I'll add an example like this to the Colour Picker docs.

Regards,

Jo

dandelO

Cheers, Jo. I meant to say the 'shifter' panel actually but I'll have a read and hopefully clear that up now, I couldn't really work out how the colour fields were changing when using the little +- buttons on each well. I'll check it out. Still, I think I'll probably stick with the HSB sliders, I like the numerical values alongside the colour. :)