Newb Rock Question for Short Film

Started by Chad Perkins, September 17, 2013, 02:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Perkins

Hello all! I'm completely new to TG and to the forums, so I apologize first off for my ignorance on both counts.

But I'm making a short film, and I've decided to use Terragen to make some terrain. The quality of the renders are just astounding. But I suppose you already know this, which is why you're here!

I am trying to recreate the black rocks shown close to camera in this image (that hopefully attached). They're vertical like heightfield shaders, but they have holes and patterns in the sides, which can only be done by Fractal Maps (unless I'm totally wrong).

I was just wondering if anyone could just point me in a direction to get started trying to recreate these. They don't have to be perfect, just in the ballpark, so any educated guesses would be so appreciated. I've gone through many of the Wiki tutorials, as well as others I've found, but I'm kind of in a bind because I'm trying to make just this specific thing. Thank you so much for reading this, and for any help!

Dune

If you have a more clear photo of the rocks, it is better to advise you how to get it done.

Chad Perkins

Absolutely. I'm so sorry. Here's a very similar rock at a closer angle. I'm going to color correct these rocks to black, but this form is what I'm concerned with.

I have no idea how to create holes or ridges. I'm also confused as to how to cause the rocks to have a slight bend (not go straight up exactly). Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thank you!!

Dune

I'm off for a week, but I'd like to have a go at rocks like this. I think I have an idea how to make them, it should be possible anyway.

Upon Infinity

The kind of rock you're describing is possible.  I'm still learning terrain modification myself.  But doing a forum search for "cliffs" and "overhangs" should get you started.

Dune

I didn't have much time to dive into this, but here's a basic start that will set you off.  You might want to add some fractals, or warp more... as I did with a modified file. The render is from the modified file, which didn't do 'your' rocks justice, so I kept this tgd simpler. The holes in the 'gullies' are lost in this render, but are more prominent in the tgd.

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: Dune on September 28, 2013, 11:42:33 AM
I didn't have much time to dive into this, but here's a basic start that will set you off.  You might want to add some fractals, or warp more... as I did with a modified file. The render is from the modified file, which didn't do 'your' rocks justice, so I kept this tgd simpler. The holes in the 'gullies' are lost in this render, but are more prominent in the tgd.

Very nice result Ulco and a big thank you for your tgd !!!
I very like this type of rock formation.
Pierre

TheBadger

Ulco, I thought the thumbnail was a photo. Took a few to realize it was a render.
It has been eaten.