Animated Gas Giant

Started by dandelO, October 02, 2013, 09:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Someone has been badgering me for a couple of months(only joking, Michael! ;)) to modify some files('Glyphic') to make a gas giant type planet.
The particular file is really too over complicated for this, i.e. it doesn't have to be so precise, more randomness is required, fractal nodes are much more suited to this purpose.

The clipfile can be found embedded in the 'Properties>>Summary>>Comments' of the attached 'Clipfile.jpg' image. Save the picture to your computer to get to the clip. Copy/paste the text directly into the node network of TG2 or TG3, it uses TG2 nodes so anyone can use the clipfile. :)

dandelO

Clipfile here.

You might want to edit the fractal colours, add more levels/octaves, etc.

TO USE AS VOLUMETRIC CLOUDS.
Desaturate the fractal colours to make b/w fractals and use 'cloud colour' instead. Each layer of fractal could be added to separate coloured clouds(if so, unlink the transform shaders from each other). Just uncheck 'render surface' and check 'render atmosphere' in the planet node for that. :)

Oshyan

Nice result. Any particular reason you didn't just post a .TGC?

- Oshyan

TheBadger

QuoteSomeone has been badgering me for a couple of months(only joking, Michael! ) to modify some files('Glyphic') to make a gas giant type planet.
Thats better!
If I have lost my sence of humor for quick word play, someone just shoot me and bury me in my garden... So I can really push up daisies ::)  :P Also, bury me with my guns on.  ;D ::) :-\

Thanks for posting this Martin. I'll have a good look at it this weekend!

Edit

Just looked at the video file. Real cool!
It has been eaten.

dandelO

Hi, Oshyan. Yes, I had to post this from my phone yesterday, which annoyingly only sees images and some video files when I use an upload form here. Doesn't even have a copy/paste text function, I need a new phone! Embedding the clip in an image properties is the only way I can seem to add it here. :)

Michael, I'm going to email you shortly...

fleetwood

Thanks for the clip.
Using the Contour shader as a mask of a Power Fractal seems a more flexible technique compared to trying to manipulate the Contour shader
directly. I had tried redirecting the Contour shader before but a contour masked Power Fractal seems to have more
options to work with plus being more familiar.

Not-of-This-Earthworm form built from a sphere using the technique.