snowy trees

Started by Kevin F, October 22, 2013, 12:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Not posted much lately so here's a new one using a simple technique for putting snow on trees. I think I've posted on this topic before but anyhow, what you do is have two identical populations of each model (obj or tgo), then place a white surface layer between the colour shader for the tree parts and it's surface shader, on one of the populations. Then offset this population slightly in x,y,z. (small amounts only). The result is one normal population with a second whitened population superimposed over it. Carefull positioning is required to get good results, but it can be quite effective.
C&C welcome.
trees/veg used all from NWDA and xFrog.

choronr

Good idea Kevin; and, a very good low sun image.

Dune

That's a smart idea, but viewing from the front tree it only works in a bit of distance. You could also try breaking the second snow tree up with a fractal, to overcome regularity.

mhaze

Clever and effective. Concur with Dune's suggestion.

WAS

I'm going to have to give this a try. I hadn't thought of this, though I should have once I realized what a fully white, and smoothed population looks like with my snow shader without slope constraints or altitude constraints.

Will give this a try and post with some results.