Underwater

Started by Dune, October 25, 2013, 02:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I used a sphere with a negative radius, and thanks for the screengrab.

inkydigit

woah Ulco!
Aquagen!
:)
these are all looking really good!
Jason

ares2101

These are fantastic!  I would love to see a basic outline of how to do this sort of thing.  I've long wanted to do some underwater scenes, but never quite got the hang of it from example files I've come across on the forums.

Dune

Short explanation and then it's up to you: make a terrain (no need for far mountains), with low thick soft cloud (even without PF), maximized at water level you intend by distribution shader, and maybe a distance shader for additional control. I colored it quite dark. For god rays, make another cloud a bit higher up above water level, and experiment whether it does any good. I used small fractals and quite strong contrast. The sun needs to be in front of you for star-like rays.
The water is a sphere, same size as the planet, but with a minus before radius, no shadows, and as a surface I use a surface shader without color. In that, you raise the water level by the displacement offset. And then add you water shader as a child to this surface shader. Thats basically it.

ares2101

Quote from: Dune on October 31, 2013, 03:24:47 AM
Short explanation and then it's up to you: make a terrain (no need for far mountains), with low thick soft cloud (even without PF), maximized at water level you intend by distribution shader, and maybe a distance shader for additional control. I colored it quite dark. For god rays, make another cloud a bit higher up above water level, and experiment whether it does any good. I used small fractals and quite strong contrast. The sun needs to be in front of you for star-like rays.
The water is a sphere, same size as the planet, but with a minus before radius, no shadows, and as a surface I use a surface shader without color. In that, you raise the water level by the displacement offset. And then add you water shader as a child to this surface shader. Thats basically it.

Thanks.  I'll have to try this sometime.

cyphyr

Easier option is to use an inverted sphere set to the radius of the earth.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

Isn't that what I wrote down?

cyphyr

It absolutely is :)
I was answering the post at the bottom of page 2, hadn't seen your answer at the time.

www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Dune

Happens occasionally to me as well.

Dune

Regarding the discussion on Richard's thread; I experimented a little with the use a of a saturation node in a population to get the more distant instances another color. As you see, it works.

cyphyr

Ooh very effective. Rendering now but I'll give this a go on the next iteration.
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

choronr

This is a priceless tip for underwater scenes.

gregtee

Now can you get this to attenuate color channels and not just saturation, because that's what you really want. 

-Greg

Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

Dune

Should be possible. Here I decreased saturation, and added a bluegreen color at the same time to environment and the objects over distance. With more gradients (exact distances and colors) it should be possible to make it how it's supposed to be, but that was not my goal. Not now anyway.