Lots of crashes.

Started by Kevin F, November 26, 2013, 04:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Been testing a lot lately and having repeated crashes. First off I had a scene with 10 modest sized populations of trees and grasses, 2 small but high instance populations of leaves (3million plus in each) and could make TG3 crash repeatedly at the same point when using the populator. I was trying different sizes and colours of leaves (from Walli),  over an area determined by a painted shader. Even if I saved the file after each major change TG3 would crash at the same point during the repopulation. However, if I then restarted TG3 and repopulated all was o.k. Does this sound like a memory leak?
System spec = intel i7 3930K 3.2GHz , Windows Ultimate 64 bit, 32 GB Ram.
I also have regular crashes when using just 2 populations in a very basic scene i.e. default scene plus two populations. This happens when I change and image map used for smooth rocks/pebbles made with Wings 3D. The scene I have uses 5 different image maps for a set of 5 rocks. If I change all 5 maps, exit the internal node of the object being populated and then try to render I get a crash before I get chance to save the file. The only safe way is to save after each individual change of map.
Another strange and annoying thing is that after a crash the object display mode defaults back to "show as bounding boxes".
I've also noticed that sometimes an object cannot be moved at all except by directly entering different values into the translate boxes for the object. Even selecting the object by right clicking in the preview window doesn't work. The object can be highlighted but not edited. As soon as you make a move the handles are no longer there. Neither can the object be selected via placing the mouse over its' +.
This last problem happened in TG2 as well, usually in a fairly complex scene with lots of objects.

mr-miley

Can't be of any help with your problems, but I'd like to add that I've had the same problem of being able to select an object, but not being able to move it by dragging, with the handles vanishing when you try. I'm on the free version
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

jo

Hi Kevin,

Which version of TG3 are you using?

Regards,

Jo

Kevin F

jaf

Haven't had many crashes lately, but with so many different computer configurations it's not surprising that some are having problems while others aren't.

As far as selecting and moving objects, I would really like to see a "lock on selected object or shader" feature on the right-click flyout.  If it's checked, whatever the selection is, thats the one that stays selected.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

jo

Hi Kevin,

Which object display mode are using? If it's textured then could you please try using one of the others, smooth shaded for example, and see if that makes any difference.

Regarding the object display mode "resetting" after a crash, the default setting for the 3D Preview is to use bounding boxes. It will be set to this when TG is started or if you start a new project.

I'll keep the selection problems you're having in mind.

Regards,

Jo

jo

Hi again Kevin,

Could you please send me the scene you mentioned with the rocks? If you could use the project gathering to gather all the assets and then send it to me that would be very helpful.

Regards,

Jo