Planet, with & w/o GI

Started by helentr, June 24, 2007, 02:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helentr

I finally managed to render a planet, with clouds that looked at least convincing. After rendering, I saw that I had forgot to turn off GI (as recommended by many here), so I did a new render with both GI values in the rendering tab set to zero AND the enviro light values set to zero. The render took half the time, but I had to change the cloud color to a much lighter one, because they turned too dark. Also, I think there is a considerable difference between the 2 renders and, to tell the truth, I like the one with GI better.
Or is enviro light not a part of GI?
The image below is with GI.

Helen

helentr

And the one without GI

Will

really, I use GI on around 4 or 5 for my planetary renders. I do this becuase planetary renders take significantly less time then landscapes.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

GI does make a positive difference in planetary renders, but it can also cause problems with the current implementation so that's why it is generally recommended to keep it off. However there is no doubt that the results will usually be better when using it so you should keep it enabled as long as you don't run into problems (splotchy lighting, incorrect lighting on the dark side of the planet, etc.).

- Oshyan

helentr

OK, thanks. I will keep on using it and watch out for possible problems.

Helen