Tree outline trough fog in TG3

Started by Mohawk20, December 03, 2013, 05:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Defer atmo/cloud was turned off when my issue appeared.

What does it do anyway?
Howgh!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Mohawk20 on December 08, 2013, 07:17:16 AM

What does it do anyway?
it replaces the function of ray trace atmosphere in TG2+
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Matt

Quote from: Mohawk20 on December 08, 2013, 07:17:16 AM

Ah, that makes sense. I was remembering it wrong. Here are my notes from the bug report I filed:

"With adaptive sampling, RTO, and atmo/cloud not deferred, objects obscured by atmosphere have outlines. Presumably this is due to incorrect comping of interpolated values. The outline can be prevented by enabling defer atmo/cloud or by rendering with max samples (non-adaptive) pixel sampling. This bug is in 3.0.05.0 and 2.5, and may much older than that."

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Mohawk20

Ah, that clears it up.
Does defer atmo/cloud increase or decrease render speed?
Howgh!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Mohawk20 on December 09, 2013, 04:37:19 AM
Ah, that clears it up.
I have never done a control but as it is ray tracing I'd guess it slows renders down some....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Matt

Quote from: Mohawk20 on December 09, 2013, 04:37:19 AM
Ah, that clears it up.

It will vary from scene to scene. In your scene it might render faster, because it will avoid rendering any atmosphere that later gets covered up by the ray traced objects, but I'm not very sure. In many cases it is slower, e.g. in the default scene where there is much less overlapping geometry.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bigben

Quote from: Matt on December 10, 2013, 01:53:05 AM
In many cases it is slower, e.g. in the default scene where there is much less overlapping geometry.

Matt

Some say my brain works in odd ways, but that twigged a useful train of thought...  If you use a spherical camera on the default scene there is a lot of atmosphere rendered below the terrain (~180°x90° worth)... could be quicker.  Couple that with when I was watching a slow render I saw a piece of terrain near the nadir render and then disappear.... what if...   Switched defer atmosphere ON and there's no zenith/nadir glitches  :D 

A bit more testing but this is looking like the best fix from the first few tests.

[edit] A bit more testing showed I was being a bit optimistic, bugger [/edit]