Moon without atmosphere doesn't render

Started by gregsandor, June 25, 2007, 02:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsandor

I've set up the Earth at a particular time, the Sun is below the horizon at its actual azimuth and elevation, and the Moon in its proper size, distance from Earth, azimuth and elevation.  It shows a nice crescent.  The real Moon has no atmosphere, but when I delete the TG2 Moon atmosphere, it vanishes.  How do I get the sun to light it without an atmosphere?

cyphyr

Maybe ... hav'nt tried, still at glastonbury ... try deactivating the tick boxes in the upper left corner of the atmosphere editor.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Deleting or disabling the atmosphere node still renders the surface here, as it should. It sounds like it's something more specific to your scene/setup. If you can provide more details or an example file that would help.

- Oshyan

gregsandor

Ok, I rebuilt it from scratch and it works without the lunar atmosphere.  Now however, I cant get the moon to show up if it is at the correct real distance from earth...

Secondary question, why is the Planet 01 angular Position at 180 and its elevation at 270?  Should it jsut be 0,0?

Oshyan

Again I can't say why the "moon" (really a Terragen planet) is not working properly at the correct distance without seeing your scene file. I have setup similar "real world" scenes using texture maps of our real moon and realistic distances and have had no problems like this.

One possibility is that your Background Object (a big sphere) is simply not big enough to encompass the moon, so you could try increasing it in size. I honestly don't recall if I had to do that for a realistic moon distance.

As far as your other question, the 0,0 point is a point on the surface of the default planet, but it's really just the origin point of all coordinate space. The planet's angular position and elevation are relative to that point, which as I said is on the surface of that planet, so the numbers should make sense.

- Oshyan