Desert Sunset

Started by Inscrutable, June 25, 2007, 12:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inscrutable

Just a couple of desert renders that I've done.  I've been messing about with the same landscape, having managed to get a foreground texture that I'm pleased with.  These two were my favourites and I just wanted to share them - one stormy, one sunset.

They're not up to the standards of some of the other people here, but I'm happy so what the hell  :)

Inscrutable

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

I agree with Will.  Nice rays!  I like the lighting in the first one, too.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

xNickx

WOW! How make strong rays? ???

moodflow

I really like these!  Nice work.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Inscrutable

Thanks guys for all your positive comments - always welcome  ;)

On the rays front, I'll post both .tgd files later today when I get home (assuming I remember, be patient with me, I have a memory like a sieve at the moment!). 

In the mean time, as a brief explanation, I merely messed around with the cloud pattern seed values until I found one that I liked, i.e. one with a big break through the middle of it, then I just positioned the sun behind it.  The sun settings are the default ones and the cloud settings are based on the ones described in http://sotecware.bttec.org/tg2wiki/index.php?title=Tutorial_Wolkenwand (I had to rely on Babel Fish for a translation as I don't speak german).

In order to reduce the graininess, I set atmosphere to 256 samples and the clouds themselves to 200 samples.  Unfortunately that meant that each render took just over 24 hours.

Hope this helps, as I said I'll try to remember to post the .tgds later.

Inscrutable

Kevin F

These are two really nice pics, the lighting is superb in both. Well done.
Kevin.

ThinkPink

My German is much better than my english so here is the translation of the german text in link of the posting above:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to show you how you can create such puffy clouds shown in my picture "Wolkenwand"

1.   In Atmosphere click 'Add Cloud Layer'
2.   Create a 'Mid-Level: Altocumulus (3D/Volumentric)'
3.   Settings in MAIN Tab of the Clouds:
Altitude: 1840 [Camera position ist 15 m above ground level]
Cloud Depth: 1760 [for nice thick clouds]
Density Shader : ... 'Go to Density fractal'
   Scale tab: Feature Scale: 596
   Density tab: Coverage adjust: -1, Roughness: 1,75
   Tweak Noise tab: Noise Flavor: Perlin Mix 2
   [This is the greatest random factor of all. If the clouds are not in the way you want, press random seed to create a new distribution.]
   Edge sharpness: 20
     Cloud Density: 0.016
   [You can play with the colour settings. I've let them standard]
   Last but not least, push up the Quality setting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~