Terragen 3 Loading behaviour

Started by PeterParker, December 07, 2013, 10:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Veeeery weird (to me anyway; it might make more sense to Matt or Jo, I'll have them look at this thread). Definitely check out the CLI output, and in particular see if it appears to hang or take a particularly long time on one specific thing. For comparison, I'm running an SSD on an otherwise similar machine. TG3 loads in less than 5 seconds. When I add an object, the load time seems to depend very much on the size of the object, which makes sense. A ~30MB object takes a couple seconds, a ~225MB one takes closer to 10. Both are being loaded from a non-SSD drive. Loading one before the other doesn't seem to change the load time of subsequent objects.

- Oshyan

yossam

Ok, here we go.......................

Loaded tgdcli.exe

1. Loaded one population................29 seconds
2. Loaded 2nd population(different)...........4 seconds
3. Saved the tgd and immediately hit render................no crash. Before it would have crashed.
4. Closed Terragen and re-started normally.
5. Opened the saved tgd from above................the UI disappeared (white screen) except for the buttons at the top. UI reappeared after 20 seconds.

No log output.

Oshyan

The "log output" is on the console window (CLI window, black) that shows up when you start tgdcli.exe. You have to watch it manually.

- Oshyan

yossam

There are no errors...............do you need to see the log?

Oshyan

I'm not expecting to see errors. I'm more curious if you can identify particular items (lines in the log) it takes a long time on, something like that. You can send the log if you have  a way of doing so (technically you can pipe the console output to a file, but I don't recall the specific instructions). I'm not sure the log itself will help, it's the timing I'm more interested in, which isn't always recorded in the log, only for certain things like render time, etc.

- Oshyan

yossam

I reloaded the tgd and where the lag happened was:

destroying camera (3963289232)

destroying render (3963288944)

between these two lines.

Hope that is what you need.  :)

Oshyan

Very interesting. How about when you load an object?

Thanks for doing all this testing btw. Hopefully it will help us figure this out!

- Oshyan

yossam

TGOReader: Attempting to open file: (file path)

ReadXML: Attempting to read byte stream

Between these two lines.

Oshyan

Great, thanks for taking a look at that. Now we'll see if the dev team has any ideas...

- Oshyan

yossam

No problem...................hopefully it will be of some use.  :)

PeterParker

Hello, its me again :(

The strange behavior is back! Every time i load the library or a file it takes 45 seconds.
But i´ve seen i´m not the only one. Haven´t visit my thread for a while cause i thought i´m the only one  with this issue.
This behavior is anoying me :(

Regards

Peter

bobbystahr

For me, when it loads a .tgd I get the UI and it hangs and stays hung until I click anywhere around the titles bar when the spinning circle happens(INTEL not MAC)and it slowly finds the project.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

jo

Hi,

I think there are few different issues here and I'm still trying to figure out what some of them are. However the behaviour mentioned where the first population, projects etc. takes longer to load or the first save takes a while is simply because the Library is being loaded. The Library is loaded the first time it needs to be accessed.

You could probably change this if you unchecked all the checkbox options in the Library preferences panel. The trade-off with that is you will need to add all items to the Library manually.

I could add a preference for the Library to be loaded at application startup. This would mean that app startup took longer every time but that there would be no delays when opening projects or objects etc. subsequently.

Regards,

Jo

jaf

Quote from: Oshyan on December 15, 2013, 10:04:37 PM
I'm not expecting to see errors. I'm more curious if you can identify particular items (lines in the log) it takes a long time on, something like that. You can send the log if you have  a way of doing so (technically you can pipe the console output to a file, but I don't recall the specific instructions). I'm not sure the log itself will help, it's the timing I'm more interested in, which isn't always recorded in the log, only for certain things like render time, etc.

- Oshyan

I know to pipe the log file is done like this (on Windows) tgdcli > drive:\log.txt  The tgdcli.exe reference is located off the Terragen install folder in the Docs folder and called win_command_line.txt so it would be "tgdcli options > log.txt".
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

PeterParker

Quote from: jo on December 30, 2013, 06:30:14 PM
Hi,

I think there are few different issues here and I'm still trying to figure out what some of them are. However the behaviour mentioned where the first population, projects etc. takes longer to load or the first save takes a while is simply because the Library is being loaded. The Library is loaded the first time it needs to be accessed.

You could probably change this if you unchecked all the checkbox options in the Library preferences panel. The trade-off with that is you will need to add all items to the Library manually.

I could add a preference for the Library to be loaded at application startup. This would mean that app startup took longer every time but that there would be no delays when opening projects or objects etc. subsequently.

Regards,

Jo

Hi Jo,

i´ve already unchecked all item in the Library setting but the huge loading time is still there.
I dont know if that loading time of 30-45 seconds is right.
This happens only one time per session. When i open up the Library or loading a file directly without the Library. After that all went well, till i restart Terragen.... A new installation hasn´t helped me out of this mess. Hmmmmm....
The hardest way is to setup a new Win 7 installation....but all programs do their job all is fine except Terragen.

Regards,

Peter