Just Like Begger's Canyon Back Home

Started by gregtee, October 29, 2013, 08:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregtee

https://vimeo.com/78121804

Overall it works.  There's some tearing of the geo here and there which I strongly suspect is the camera cutting through the geo displacements.  There's also the issue of the Sun's glow showing through the rocks at times which is supposed to be fixed with Receive Shadows from Surfaces checked but it didn't seem to have any effect.  Other than that it looks pretty clean, with only a little noise issues here and there I can live with.

Stats are as follows:

3D Motion Blur
Fully Adaptive: On
Microvertex Jittering: Off
Detail Blending: .5
Ray Detail Region: Detail in Camera
Ray Detail Padding: 1
Force all Edges: On
Stabllise Ray Detail in Motion: 3
Jitter Shading Points: Off

Render stats are total of about 1750 CPU hours.  This breaks down to almost 60 days of continuous render time on a single 8 core box.  Resolution was 1920x816 for a 2:40 aspect.

Enjoy!

Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

gregsandor

Looks great.  I think you're right about the camera flying through the rock, but other than that its pretty sweet, and the canyone forms are really interesting.

dorianvan

Great job Greg, very realistic. My nephew Gideon works there; if you know him tell him hello for me.
-Dorian

gregtee

I will.  He sits right behind me!   Very talented guy.

-Greg

Bjur

A rly cool and very dynamic sequence Greg, thx for sharing!  :)

May i ask:

What was your choice of pixelfilter for animation in TG and why?

How many frames per second were rendered for the Begger's clip? Got something speed up in post maybe?

Alex
~ The annoying popularity of Vue brought me here.. ~

gregtee

I believe I used the sharp filter because it seems to give better surface detailing, at least to my eye.  Frame rate was 24fps.

-Greg

Bjur

I like Catmull-Rom too and will give that filter a try now for some animations i have to render now for my Diploma project.

For me, the filter seems to weight colors and contours better (especially at different distances) than Mitchell or others - in my test-stills at least, with animation settings involved.

Thx for answer Greg.

Alex
~ The annoying popularity of Vue brought me here.. ~