Natural Watersheds for Rivers

Started by ejgodwin, December 14, 2013, 11:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejgodwin

I hear you. I'm trying 14,000 right now, but I suspect even that won't work too well: 730,000 / 14,000 > 50, which is still wider than the river. What I might do is use your method to just overlay a secondary, higher resolution heightfield for the river, and hope that doesn't slow TG3 down too much when I add all the other rivers. I can always disable all those secondary heightfields, as well as the water shaders, except the ones in the camera view of whatever renders I create.

Memory: I have 10GB, which I know some have said isn't quite big enough, especially for something this massive. Looks like another purchase is in my future. :)

ejgodwin

Oshyan, I ended up using your method of exporting a portion of the heightfield. Looks like it might work.

But you are also right that bringing in the entire heightfield at a high resolution really isn't practical. I can edit the individual "river heightfields" in L3DT to create more realistic surrounding terrain, but the hurdle now becomes how to blend the borders. I see there's a "border blending" setting, but whenever I increase it, it increases the overall height of the secondary heightfield, causing me to add an adjust vertical. I have to keep changing the value to correct it every time I increase the border setting. Is this normal, or is there something amiss in the secondary heightfield?

Thought of another way to blend the heightfields. I'll just export the river terrain to include a few hundred meters of the surrounding terrain, and blend it manually in L3DT. Much simpler.

Oshyan

Yes, using multiple terrains at different resolutions, with the highest for your area of interest, is the generally recommended way to do this. Glad to hear you seem to be making progress.

- Oshyan