What TGD is loaded when you do a File > New

Started by EdBardet, December 19, 2013, 11:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdBardet

I'd like to be able to change a setting (size of subdivision cache per thread) so I don't have to set it each time. I have a lot more memory I can allocate.

Thanx,
Ed

jaf

I used to modify the default file that came with the tg download, but now I make a new file with my desired settings and save it to a folder, like myDefault.  Then, in TG, go to Edit|Preferences and choose Startup|Project Creation|Load from file and pick the new default file.

[edit] I should add, there's some nice options in the preferences -- give it a look.  Since I added a SSD, I wanted to avoid using it so use the File Saving automatic render output choose location option to direct it to a different drive.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

jo

Hi,

There is a description of this in the Startup preferences panel docs, which are here:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=TG3_Preferences_-_Startup_Panel

Regards,

Jo

Oshyan

Your question is answered, but now I have one for you: what are you changing the subdiv cache to and why? We're considering removing the setting as it's really not that well used or understood, it's seldom necessary or beneficial to change it.

- Oshyan

EdBardet

Oshyan-I increase the amount of memory to get rid of the error/warning messages I get. Using 8 cores.
Ed

Matt

Are you using the 32-bit version? In the 64-bit version the default subdiv cache size should be large enough that it doesn't give any warnings (and it scales with how many cores you have).
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

EdBardet

Matt - I'm using the 64 bit and it finds 8 cores, but I still get the warnings.
Ed

Matt

What's the exact warning you get? And what cache size does it default to?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.