Terragen 3 Wishlist - Ghosts of TGD Past, Present, and Future.

Started by Upon Infinity, December 30, 2013, 03:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

So, as we stare into the fading embers of a dying year, I had a chance to go browsing through the old Planetside website  (circa 2006) and get all nostalgic like I do this time of year.  I noticed / remembered a few things from when I started down this landscape generating path.

Firstly, that nearly every single promise was delivered by Planetside from all the features they wanted to include and said they would include at some point save 1 or 2..  Most notably, the ability to create waterfalls and do subsurface scattering.  Not that I lament the non existence of such features.  I haven't had a need to include either in my scenes as yet and if I did, I'd likely be able to find a suitable workaround.  Nor do I have any illusion of the complexity that would be included in order to implement these features, considering all the others that have been implemented so far (and considerably more important).

And secondly, I noticed back then, there was a road map for where we were all heading.  We all sort of knew what the future held and features the development team was working on.  This is something that seems to be lacking now.  Or is this just the difference between being established and being a start-up?

So, I guess my question is:  What's in store for the future of Terragen?  It's already great at what it does.  More stability and minor updates / bug fixes?  Will it move in the direction of being an all-purpose 3D program?  Is PS keeping things close to the vest to remain competitive?  Is so, let me know, and I'll never mention it again.  But also, it might be a good time for others to kind of pitch some ideas of what they might want included in any updates or future versions.

Personally, before new features get added, I'd like to see the Wiki get completed.  After that, more GI (or maybe a checkbox for "True Lighting (not recommended)"  ;) as per my last post on the subject.  I might think of 1 or 2 more things in the next couple of days.  Anyone else?

TheBadger

Populate on an object.

Simplified stream-lined Mudbox & Z-brush integration for better vector playing.

RTO displacement issues

Better gizmo so I can tilt and rotate in the 3d preview window.
It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on December 30, 2013, 04:09:57 PM
Populate on an object.

Simplified stream-lined Mudbox & Z-brush integration for better vector playing.

RTO displacement issues

Those are all gold.

alessandro

My wish list would be:

- Sub-Surface Scattering (besides ice it would be extremely useful to replicate organic surfaces, skin etc.)
- a particle engine system
- a more complex populator allowing to mix different objects at once
- an improved painter shader, allowing to brush using b/w texture maps
- some improvements on the user interface, mostly helpers and commodities
- a shader capable of masking by ambient occlusion or other cavity detection algorithm: that would allow to do even more nifty displacement and surfacing on terrains
- terrain generation based on a spline/bezier curve system

A lot more wishes to come  ;D
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

jo

Hi Michael,

Quote from: TheBadger on December 30, 2013, 04:09:57 PM

What problems do you have with the one TG has now?

Regards,

Jo

TheBadger

Its not really a problem Jo, just would be nice to have.

Usually once I get heavy into a scene working directly in the preview window may not be best anyway.
But despite you only hearing when I don't like something, there are a lot of times when my scene stays light enough to work directly in the 3D preview window as much as I want to.
At times like that it would be nice to be able to rotate and tilt objects and things directly with the gizmo. For example, THe current gizmo only allows XYZ. But I have only bought T3 an hour ago, so if its already better, never mind. Otherwise, despite limited use, when it would be useful, it would be very useful indeed.

Basically, anything that can be moved in any direction would benefit from an improved gizmo
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

The "gizmo" does now allow rotation and scaling and works for most things that *can* be rotated and scaled. This is new as of TG3 though, so perhaps you haven't noticed yet.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Oh Good! I will install tonight just got my key tonight! Well then, I got what I wanted! Good for me. ;D
It has been eaten.

Dune

1. Stability and fluent working!
2. Real displacement with RTO, to be set per object.
3. Populate on objects
4. Vector manipulation (like in SSS's to form more complex simple shapes  :o)
5. Maybe an interesting extra noise
6. ?

kaedorg

1 - As i asked on the webinar, individual x,y,z on populated objects when editing
the reason is to replace easily a populated object by a different individual object with a copy/paste for x,y,z
or from this point, create anything new.

j meyer

Agree with Ulcos list and like to add:
7.The ability to read ZBrushs AUV,GUV andPUV mappings
  (pretty unlikely,I know,but it's a wishlist after all)

TheBadger

.FBX object!!

And that new way Oshyan mentioned of bringing object sequences in, in a more efficient way. Can't recall what that was called right now.
It has been eaten.

zaxxon

This last 12 months has been an exciting and new feature-filled span for Terragen, thanks to PS again, and I'm really looking forward to what 2014 brings! Not to get too greedy, however:

1.  Pause, save and resume render. Along with 'recover' from aborted render.
2.  The new Gizmo is much appreciated, and hopefully will continue to evolve: a) ability to size gizmo (it often obscures the object) b) the ability to 'lock' a rotational axis.
3.  The ability to globally disable with a single toggle all other objects when in Population Edit Mode (too much happening with mouse-overs from pop-up descriptions to over-anxious objects and other   
     populations).
4.  When an object is imported have it be the 'selected' object in the preview. Same goes for items selected in the Network view, have them selected in the preview as well'
5.  Add me to the better Mudbox/Zbrush support folks.
6.  Institute a curve edit function to the populator to control the 'density' of distribution (i.e. thinner towards the boundaries, etc.). Mixed object populations would be really welcome.

PabloMack

Quote from: jo on December 30, 2013, 06:32:57 PMHi Michael,

Quote from: TheBadger on December 30, 2013, 04:09:57 PMBetter gizmo so I can tilt and rotate in the 3d preview window.

What problems do you have with the one TG has now?

The gizmo controls only work correctly at the North Pole. At the equator some controls still work like you were at the North Pole. I sometimes find that I have two ways to rotate on a certain axis and no way to rotate on another axis (as in gimbal lock). All Rotation Controls should work relative to the current orientation but they do not. For example, if you are at the equator, you must rotate your view 90° so that the planet's horizon will be horizontal in your preview. So I will try to Roll left or right and the view will Pitch or Yaw instead (but often some catty-corner combination of all three and difficult to understand what is happening). It is very frustating for doing camera path animations that travel down to the planet's surface at arbitrary places and you wish to make the belly of your craft parallel to the surface of the planet as aircraft do when they are flying within the atmosphere.

Added to this I would like to see "Shadow Popping" eliminated by taking into account geometry that may be out of frame but its shadows are in frame.

I would also like to see "Wave Scale" or some other amplitude control to be brought out as an input to the "Water Shader" so that you can damp wave action where the water is shallow or any other way you want to do it. Right now it is just a constant that is hidden inside the node.

Although I have not used it yet, I want to praise the PS team for coming up with the Vortex Shader. I feel this may fulfill the request I made a while back when I wanted to create rotational weather systems. If you look at the real Earth from space, these things are all over the place.

mhaze