Terragen 3 Wishlist - Ghosts of TGD Past, Present, and Future.

Started by Upon Infinity, December 30, 2013, 03:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: TheBadger on December 31, 2013, 02:57:40 PM
What was the image in the OP rendered with?

It's a SSS test from the Terragen 2 Technology Preview or what used to be called Terragen TGD, for those of you who weren't around in the old days.  It was never implemented, unstable or unusable or something like that.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

knock out

Hello all, just joined here and a new user to Terragen.

As a new user to Terragen, and terrain modeling in general, I feel a little left out. While I'm sure each of the above comments are valid, I think one advantage other software packages have is documentation, making the learning curve astronomically faster and therefore increasing adoption.

My thought is, if you can provide the tools to make new users feel comfortable and welcome, you'll convert them to long-term customers overnight. To do so, please consider addressing these ideas:

1. Documentation/Tutorial Videos - Community sourced or other [Grasshopper3D is a good example of official and user generated all mixed together http://www.grasshopper3d.com/page/tutorials-1]

2. User interface 'Cheat-Sheet'

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Cyber-Angel

One thing that I'd really like would be a feature that allows the selection of and re-rendering of areas of an image where you had a bucket failure and you get blacked out areas of the image, whilst leaving the rest already rendered image intact.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

PabloMack

Quote from: Upon Infinity on December 30, 2013, 03:56:30 PM..  Most notably, the ability to create waterfalls and do subsurface scattering. 

So the subsurface scattering you are referring to is for terrain, not water? (which I believe TG has)

AP

Fully pluggable procedural erosion node or at best, a pluggable alpine fractal. Second, more fractal flavours. And the big dream here... procedural plants.

PabloMack

Quote from: ChrisC on December 31, 2013, 07:11:25 PM
Fully pluggable procedural erosion node or at best, a pluggable alpine fractal. Second, more fractal flavours. And the big dream here... procedural plants.

Ditto on the erosion and procedural plants.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: PabloMack on December 31, 2013, 05:33:18 PM
Quote from: Upon Infinity on December 30, 2013, 03:56:30 PM..  Most notably, the ability to create waterfalls and do subsurface scattering. 

So the subsurface scattering you are referring to is for terrain, not water? (which I believe TG has)

Yes, I believe that was the case.

masonspappy

Upon Infinity

Quote from: masonspappy on January 01, 2014, 08:03:15 AM
Documentation. With examples.
Seriously....

For what?  Sub surface scattering?  Well, the example is at the start of this thread.  I think, though, that this post sums it all up rather nicely: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,14211.msg139649.html#msg139649

Which I just discovered, by the way, so I'm not a complete douche for bringing it up again.

digitalguru

number one would be OpenExr 2.0 with Deep output  - i know Matt has mentioned this might be on the horizon 

Bjur

Wishlist:

- Stability
- More/Finer/Better animation curve manipulators
- A special manipulator/slider just for the suns visual appearance

For me, the visual sun effect in the atmosphere in camera or close by is just overkill in many circumstances in relationship to most given or needed atmosphere settings.
Great would be a slider, which could change the suns visual appearance/glow amount, without influencing the suns given strength to atmosphere thingies and surfaces.

Such a slider could also be a quick compensation to sometimes needed creepy sun/atmo readjustments generally or for disappearing suns in very high camera positions e.g.
where the atmosphere stops to turbo-multiply given suns base settings/visual appearances - and could be a great killer of annoying but sometimes needed fake suns I guess..

Alex

~ The annoying popularity of Vue brought me here.. ~

Dune

I thought of one more; rotate by function instead of parameter! Very handy. So input can be rotated (a.o.) by a function input, such as a warped line or height, or whatever.